nopin

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Just how hard is permafrost?

These are pilings that someone attempted to drive into permafrost. They are steel, about 3/8 inch thick.







And here is the clump of fireweed that is leaning into our front walkway. Fairbanks is so fertile in Summer that we have to trim back the path to the outhouse about every other week.





Here is Linden. She is quite pushy with her affection. I just knelt down for a second to access the USB port to upload the above photos, and she plopped down and curled up on my foot.



And here is Autumn, smiling sweetly in her nap.



Autumn is on a reduced diet now. I was a bit over successful in putting weight on her. I feel rather terrible about it, because she doesn't carry it well, and I mean that in the physical rather than the vain sense. She stumbles and loses her footing a bit more often since she's gotten chubby, as if she doesn't know what to do with her surplus flesh. Poor girl. But we're working on it!

3 comments:

TwoYaks said...

Wow. Makes me appreciate why most people just pile some gravel on the ground and stick it on top. (And then get confused when their building buckles in the middle).

The Enforcer said...

I like that there are multiple pilings. Like, they saw how the first one buckled and thought it might just be a fluke and that there was no way that the metal would fail like that a second time and decided to try again...and again.

Humans. Awesome creatures, we are.

Arvay said...

:D

You slay me!