nopin

Friday, October 17, 2008

Have a good weekend!

I will be studying for my first of two midterms. But not too hard. The forecast is calling for cloud cover and snow. That means yeeeeeeeehaw for our household!

Engineering classes are definitely easier than physics classes, so my hat's off to those physics people. They are definitely intelligent in ways that I am not. I know it's kind of common to scoff at people of their type. People like to say, "oh they are so book-smart, but they are not so good in life skills." But it's not necessarily true. Besides, being book-smart is a life skill, because it makes for job skills, and if working a job and putting food on the table isn't a life skill, then I don't know what is!

I think people like to make fun of uber-book-smart people like physicists for the same reasons that people like to think that really beautiful people are stupid. It's not necessarily true; it's just that we like to think that God is fair, and wouldn't possibly give one person more than one fantastic gift. But some people really do get more than one. It's just a matter of odds.

So anyway back from my digression... studying for this midterm won't be quite the nightmare that studying for physics exams was. And that means fun in the snow! Yay!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Physicists are intelligent and intellectual, but "smart"?

They have brains to study one of the hardest academic field, spirits to hang onto the hardest field, and self-discipline to graduate from the hardest field. After graduation, very small percentage of them get to be professors, majority had to make earnings in computer or engineering fields. Are they really "smart"?

Arvay said...

Well, brains, spirits, and self-discipline are all admirable, no?

My point was not whether they are marketable or set up for lucrative careers. My point was, I do not agree when people say things like, "Oh, sure, he's a brilliant mathematician, but I bet he can't even make a cup of tea or do his own laundry!" That's not necessarily true. Just because he's academically brilliant, it doesn't automatically make him an idiot in everything else.

And even if he does happen to be an idiot in everything else, does that make him worthy of scorn? There are character traits far more worthy of scorn than being academically brilliant but otherwise dense.