nopin

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Lessons Learned by a city girl adapting to a small town...

In Fairbanks, and possibly in Alaska in general, if you need to get something done, you need to talk to a human being, possibly over the phone, but better in person, not over email, and most definitely NOT via an online form that you fill out. It takes ten minutes to drive from one side of town to the other. Going there and talking to a human being is worth your while.

If you absolutely cannot go to the place of business and must talk to a person over the phone, introduce yourself and your connection immediately. Say, "Hello, my name is Arvay, and I was given your name by my friend Stan Dupp at the University as a great eggplant grower. And I definitely need help with my eggplants." Chatting and small talk are not time wasted. If you don't do this and instead burst right into business, it's rude.

Going in person is particularly valuable if you look like me (thank you mom, dad, God, and the genetic lottery)--that is, I am reasonably attractive, but not a knock-out nor a sexpot. I look pleasant, unintimidating, and approachable. Both men and women feel comfortable with me. The downside to looking like me is that when I am in a big city, derelicts and unsavory characters always choose me to talk to and tell their life's woes to. The upside to looking like me is that I almost always get what I need out of conversations. And I get lots of unsolicited help at hardware stores. :)

2 comments:

Debs said...

haha I always get asked directions when I'm out. Like even when I've only moved to a place the day before, or just on a day trip. I must look something like you, approachable and neither grumpy nor scary. I'm also sure you get stuff done because you smile and generally assume the other person wants to help you. I think people who do neither get a far harder time and get what they want far less often.

Thanks for your email, btw. I have half written a reply, glad all is well ;-)

mdr said...

I was in the Parkmerced shopping center trying to cash a small check without any ID, I thought they knew me since I was there regularly, but the Phillipino teller did not remember me but you. After explaining that we were there before, he said " you are the mother of that girl with the most beautiful long hair" I said 'Arvay?" "Yes", he smiled and cashed my check.