nopin

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Ayah!

So I have a cold, which is quite astonishing to me because I only rarely get colds. Chalk it up to an out-of-practice immune system used to living in a low-germ-density area suddenly being exposed to an "aluminum germ tube" as BT puts it.

I've been drinking lots of hot water with honey and various vitamin C sources, which are abundant around here this time of year.

Fireweed blossoms, rose hips, and a slice of lemon:


Sweetened with honey... mmmm... very soothing on the throat:


Acidic hot water takes the color right out of fireweed, which is why folks make beautiful fireweed jelly.


I love fireweed, but mine is out of control, up to my chest, in impenetrable thickets:


The other afternoon, I got my neighbor to come over and advise me on it. She told me to pull it all out, stem by stem; it would grow back no matter what. "We all love fireweed, but that's too much fireweed." The roots are so straight and shallow, and the ground is so soft and moist, that it was an easy job.

Before:


After:


Oh, here is another 'before' shot, where a certain Mademoiselle Moose had been bedding down for the night:


I found a 'shroom grown around one of them, haha:


Pretty impressive piles, no?




Here is a photo of Miss Millie enjoying some bolted arugula:


I made pesto out of the salvageable leaves and brought some back to my neighbors from whom the arugula had come. The wife wasn't in, and the husband, an Inupiat with little background in Italian food, said, "It's what what?"

Me: "Arugula pesto"

Him: "What pesto?"

Me: "Arugula. Er... Your arugula."

So now I know who manages the garden in that house! :)

7 comments:

mdr said...

More sleep and lot of green tea has always been my way to help with colds. Also, chicken broth, even in cans.

Rena said...

Hope you feel better soon. Your witch's brew over there looks pretty good.

I am surprised by the amt and density of fireweed. Are you sure you're just not hay-feverish from all the dust and pollen that got kicked up during weeding?

Arvay said...

Yes, my personal allergy season has come to an end (it's earlier than most other folks'). And I'm not allergic to fireweed, thank goodness! I've found that what triggers my allergies is something that blooms at the same time as the bluebells. I know it's not the bluebells themselves because I have lots them in my own yard, and they don't bother me, but when they appear, I know that as I drive around I will start to sneeze!

mdr said...

B. take "Odwalla C monster" to fight colds in additon to green tea

You should still have Robittisum I brought.

Arvay said...

No-one is going to comment on my mushroom photo? I had thought it was funny, butt I guess no-one else could get behind the humor.

Rena said...

hmmm, I didn't get the shroom joke...? What did I miss?

Arvay said...

It looked... like a BUTTon mushroom to me.