nopin

Saturday, January 15, 2022

After the Storms, Discussion

Local science writer Ned Rozell wrote a very nice writeup about the implications of the recent back-to-back storms. The rain in the middle put an inprecedented ice sheet on top of the snow base layer, and it's causing a lot of problems. We have not been on the neighborhood trails since the storms, nor has anybody I know. The deep interspersed layers of snow and ice have made travel difficult for moose, so they are using a lot of human trails and roads. That ice layer has blocked a lot of their food sources, so they are also hungry and stressed, and they have been reported to be attacking humans and dogs all over the interior of Alaska. Some biologists have estimated that most of the calves will not survive this winter, and we can only hope that the adults survive. This makes me feel incredibly sad. Moose are not predators, but there are very few things that can hurt them. Their biggest challenge in life is that their caloric balance is so fine; they need to eat enough to survive winter. And now their food sources are blocked. It's not looking good.

Another reason I've been avoiding skiing or skijoring is that, although a local volunteer trail groomer has nicely groomed the top layer of snow, and it would be lovely to ski on, that underlying layer of ice is still there. If a moose were to walk down the trail, their hooves would punch through the ice, leaving deep, ice-lined holes that would be very easy for the dogs to hurt their shoulders on.

Sigh. Between being unable to ski and STILL working and teaching from home, I have to admit that this is the first time that I'm feeling a bit worn down.

I just have to keep reminding myself that I'm still extraordinarily fortunate. I have a home, loving spouse, family, friends, a safe home, adequate food, a good job, health insurance and access to health care; I'm fully vaccinated and boosted, my ankle has healed up well with no issues, and, and, and! I have many blessings! But still feeling very bummed.

The Ned Rozell article has me feeling bummed, too. Foxes are dying? Voles are dying? Of course, everything he says makes sense. Well damn.

Let me post some dog portraits.

Thistle looking happy and queenly:
Cricket looking uncharacteristically dignified:
Cricket bellyrub selfie:
Selfie with Thistle:

No comments: