nopin

Thursday, June 8, 2023

In praise of dandelions

Dandelions are generally the first flower to bloom every spring. They are the first food that bees and other nectar-sipping insects get to have. That's why I discourage DL--and everyone--from mowing them. Lookie the fuzzy bumblebees! I love them so, so much. The swallowtail butterflies are also out.
Fuzzybutt!
And look at this amazing hummingbird moth!
April is doing great at her Basic Dog class. She's not necessarily learning All The Things, but she is gaining confidence. Yesterday evening, we practiced Letting People Take Something From Me, and she did very well. Really amazing considering her severe neglect and starvation early in life. Last night's biggest breakthrough though was Very Bravely walking into the building before her Seester Mae, which is unprecedented! She's also taken to following me around the dog yard barking for attention. Normally I do not care for such brattiness, but in her case it's nice to see her feel secure enough to be a brat!
Thank you Pawsitive Dog Training for being so patient with us bringing our weirdo rescues to class, and thank you Sirius Sled Dogs Rescue for giving her a new lease on life. I look forward to seeing her settle into her furever home soon!

3 comments:

mdr said...

dandelions are known to detoxicate and cleanse us internally. Drink its broth or eat the leaves are great. Just have to be sure they are dandelions.

gina said...

Wonderful about April's progress!
When I was in anchorage the first 2 weeks in June, the park behind my daughter's house was covered in dandelions. I don't think I've ever seen so many in one place, and they were huge. We walked her dogs and I took pictures of dandelions!

Arvay said...

@mdr and @gina: Ahh, so many dandelion lovers! I am glad!