nopin

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Development, 'tis sad

So, along with my disappointment at finding that a paved street and new collection of McMansions have replaced Dingo Dave's recommended trails, I had another heartbreak yesterday when I took the girls out to our old stomping grounds for an afternoon of skiing and 'joring. This undeveloped road (read: ski trail) has now been graded and developed into a full-on road, for, like CARS! Well! I cannot tell you how heartbreaking I find this. The girls and I have had great fun back there, walking, running, skiing, and 'joring through all kinds of weather. But now of course the road will be kept plowed and will have a constant flow of cars, so no more fun there for us! And now I no longer have any regrets about moving closer to town. That trail system was my favorite thing about living out there! Ah, so sad. Shocks like this usually happen when you visit your childhood home after a decade, not when you visit your home of six months prior! Geeze!

But the back side of the trail system is still available, and it is on state land, so hopefully it will never be developed! And I guess now that I have to drive there from town, what's the difference between parking at the beginning of the road, or driving down the new road and parking at the end of it? And with that time and energy saved, we were able to explore an extra several miles of trail that we had never been on. :)

3 comments:

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Major Bummer! So the Eastside of Chena Ridge is now full of McMansions? Crud...

Next time I mention some trails to you I'll make sure I check the google satellite maps first... my bad.

There's always the river, but that gets boring.

There are lots of other good trails around, and if you're starting skijoring then you might be able to use the vast network of mushing trails. I'd check with the mushers first and find out what they think of skijorers on the mushing trails.

A Girl and Her Dogs (she's on my blogroll) would be a good person to ask. And she could tell you some great trails too.

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Good news! Check out Akbushbaby's latest post:

http://wannabemusher.blogspot.com/2008/11/im-turning-in-my-old-sinful-ways.html

Read the part about dog walkers, skiers and skijorers on the trails while she was mushing with team.

Whe's a really nice lady and I'm sure she wouldn't mind giving you directions to some good trails.

Arvay said...

Thanks for the tips! We are certainly able to skijor at Creamer's Field and around Musher's Hall, but I just think that my good, sweet dogs deserve some time off-leash, running and leaping freely without being attached to a frightened human. :)