nopin

Monday, August 18, 2008

Misc Photos

Another day, another weather:


What a view of the valley!


Linden with her Papa. I could not get this shot with Autumn, because she would not leave my side. Dan called and called, but she just stood beside me and looked puzzled, like, "Uh, you're twenty feet away from me... why do you need to call me?"


A woodpecker on campus. I cannot say the word "woodpecker" without snickering. :)


The girls doing their best "Woe is us" look:


In other news, the new grad students are arriving this week. I'm not in on the engineering gossip yet, but the incoming physics grad students are unusually large in number this year--eight--and all boys. Physics seems to have had bad luck with girls the past few years. In 2006, it was one other girl and me, and we both left due to medical emergencies in our respective families. In 2007, it was one other girl and me, and we both changed our fields of study, she to do a master's in teaching, and I to engineering. In 2008, no girls at all. I know of only one that was offered admission. She came up to visit and was quite shy and self-conscious. I was sorry to realize right off the bat that she most likely would not come. On the other hand, a girl in a male-dominated field cannot afford to be either shy or self-conscious, whether it's in academia or industry, in a "wild" place like Alaska, a big sophisticated city, or a small town. I sure do hope she finds herself somewhere.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see Dan walk too, it is good for him