nopin

Friday, August 1, 2008

Notes from here and there

It has continued to rain steadily, but the Tanana has already crested, the Chena is expected to soon, and then the water levels should go down and we can go back to normal. Article here.

The mayor has declared a disaster.

In brighter news, the State Fair opens tomorrow! And there will be a Freight Dog Pull. And you know what that means, don't you? Newfies! Yay! Giant, huggable newfies! (or if there are no newfies, you know there will be St. Bernards and malamutes, which are also giant and cuddly!) I will also photograph the giant vegetables for you and let you know the weight of the winningest giganticest cabbage. And eat all the disgustingly delicious junk food for you and report on how yiffed-out I feel afterwards and share with you my subsequent leanings toward bulimia. See, if I have to eat disgusting deep-fried things for you in the interest of comprehensive reporting, I'm willing to do that. I give. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope the flooding is at its peak and won't get any worse. Aren't there a lot of remote Inuit(is that the word?) villages in Alaska that are practically underwater already? I saw one episode of "Tougher in Alaska" where the host visited a village whose houses were up on stilts and folks went between buildings using boardwalks during the warm months.

Have fun at the fair. Stay away from those deep-fried foods - trans fats and poor-quality oil! Don't shorten your lifespan just for a dumb funnel cake. Hmmm, am I channeling your mom all of a sudden? Hello Mudder?

Arvay said...

Not that I've heard. Most of the flooding has been in Salcha, Nenana, and here.

Avoid deep-fried foods? Hmmm... ;)

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time and yummy food, "very occasional" junk food is comfort food. Enjoy

Anonymous said...

That earlier one was from mudder