nopin

Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Report from Deep Winter

We are in for a brrrrrrr-tacular next few days:


And we are now less than a week from Solstice, so here are my Notes from Here and There...

11:45 a.m. sunrise over the Alaska Range from my office windows!

I can always pick out Mount Hayes out there. Here is a photo of it up close.

Kerfloppular dogs!


Mmmmm secret ingredient...


... to The Best Chile!


Office dowgs help me with my APPLE! THEMLOVESAPPLES!!


The other morning on our morning run, a very kind neighbor pulled over in her truck and handed me this vest! She said that despite all our blinky lights, the vest would help even more! What a kind-hearted and caring neighbor!


Once upon a time, Fairbanks had a Gottschalks. The building had been empty for a few years, but I just learned that next year it is going to be turned into an indoor hydroponic farm, to supply Fairbanks with fresh veggies in wintertime! This photo is NOT from there; it's not set up yet as contracts are still being worked out. This is from a test site at the Food Bank:


Have I reminded you lately that Starbuck has a Heart on her Chest? nnnggg...


Oh I got my biennial haircut this week! Yay!


I pulled some blueberries and cranberries from the freezer to make biscotti!

I put orange zest with the cranberry one, and lemon zest with the blueberry one:


Then bake them!


Then slice them and bake them again until they are crunchy!


And voilà! A way to mail Alaskan berries Outside! (These to my mother-in-law in Florida)

4 comments:

MDR said...

HUGE THANKS TO YOUR KIND NEIGHBOR WHO GAVE YOU THE VEST.

IS IT REFLECTIVE?

Arvay said...

@MDR, YES, IT IS. THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT!

e.davis said...

Scrumptious looking biscotti! Will make mine this weekend to bring to the Berkeley fam on 12/24. Adding dark chocolate & Cointreau-infused toasted almonds for flavor!
Happy Solstice :)

Arvay said...

@e.davis, have fun! Happy Solstice to you, too!