nopin

Thursday, December 12, 2019

Scenes from a snowshoe hike behind the house

Deep winter in Fairbanks is really (quietly, gently, hushedly) beautiful. Yes, the days are short, but the twilights are long, and the sun never rises too high in the sky. It seems tethered to the horizon: straining to rise, never getting a chance to rise high enough to ignite, smoldering orange, red, the color of egg yolk, then with a sigh, slipping back down to sleep.

Starbuck, the Amazing Boneless Husky, looks very regal in the dim light in the woods:


Here is the sort-of-fire-break that State Forestry workers put in manually last summer. They sure went to a lot of (appreciated) effort to make a pretty thinned line instead of clear-cutting the forest!


The sun rising over the trail:


Happy girls!


DL:


The dogs are crazy enthusiastic!


The sun peeking behind the ridge:


Roo pauses to reflect:


They were very contrary last weekend! Running farther away than I'd like!


They look back over their shoulders and then take off again! Contrary huskies!


DL:


The light on the trees:


Me!


Approaching the back of the cabin. The Contrary Huskies are waiting.


Yup. There they are.


Oh! So pretty! Let me take some photos!"


"RRROOOOOOO!!!!"


"ooo"

7 comments:

rena said...

I think you should post on how you take photos in this weather! It surely involves pulling your phone from a warm, well-protected pocket, doffing several layers of mittens, de-fogging a lens, etc.
Also I don't remember you snow-shoeing before, only skjoring. Is this a new thing?

Arvay said...

@Rena, I don't skijor with Roo and Cricket since they are too mismatched. I like to ski with them running freely, but DL doesn't ski (he's a low-velocity kind of guy). He is willing to chase me on snowshoes while I ski, but I'm afraid the pace mismatch is still a bit too much, and the times I spend waiting for him to catch up get really cold (brrrr!), so when I'm with him, I snowshoe as well. :)

gina said...

I have a question.......are you on city water or do you have a well?

Arvay said...

@gina, we haul city water from the Water Wagon: https://www.waterwagon.net/

Our water table is at about 110 feet, and if our neighbors on either side are any indication, it's good water, but alas, I have been lazy.

mdr said...

Yes, snow shoeing with DL is a great idea, otherwise, while he is behind you snowshoeing, it might be just as fun for you to turn back ski to meet him. How surprising to see you again,DL
(Does he read the blog?)

e.davis said...

Ah your description brings the scene to life. I can just imagine the sights & sounds of winter there. Find the shades of the sky quite striking especially around sunset - & I'm guessing that is around 3PM?
Love the Contrary Huskies:) maybe wondering what took the humans so long to get home :-)

Arvay said...

@mdr, hanging out with DL is almost always a good idea. :)

@e.davis thank you! Actually, that was sunrise, at about 10:30 a.m. Official sunrise-sunset times are about 10:45-2:45, but the light is most beautiful just before and just after.