nopin

Thursday, July 27, 2023

Getting to Know you, Getting to Know All About you...

Raven has now been with us for three weeks. We have not had a moosey encounter yet, nor have we gone backpacking, but we have experienced many of the other Things that tell us what it's going to be like having her in our family. For starters, she likes to be with me All the Time, including following me up and down the stairs, even if it's just for me to change a shirt. She has not had a single accident in the house, although I have no idea how she signals that she needs to go since she just goes when Thistle and Cricket go. Although I am off contract for four weeks, I have been training her in Staying Home Unsupervised, and she has done well. We have gone as long as four hours now! I've asked MK to spy on her through the window while I'm gone, and it appears that she just naps by the door waiting for me. Also, like Miss Thistle, she really likes fruits and has come to expect her share of Melon Taxes!

"Hello, we see you are eating melon. We, too, like melon."

She also has gotten the courage to try the big dog bed.
Although she often still prefers the hardwood floor as it's been so warm.
Ohhh! Then that day Thistle joined her! Such progress!
Then she tried the couch!
A-hah! Now we are fully integrated! We can do both the couch...
... and the dog beds! (And every permutation in between.)
She's not the most dignified dog on earth, but she's also only a little over a year old.
And she's become a very relaxed eater! No more wolfing down food like it's her last meal on earth.
And she likes gai-lan-stemz!
Mmmm gai-lan-stemz!
Gai-lan-stemz? FOR ME?? Holy crap! GAI-LAN-STEM!!!
I am not ready to try her off-leash trustworthiness, so I took her to a dog park a few times to give her some running-around-free time. She did great with recall, and she's not reallly super playful. She is mildly interested in this ball, but much more so in exploring. Only one time we met another dog, and they had great fun playing together! I guess not a lot of people go to the dog park early in the morning.
I brought her down to the Tanana to see if she'd like to dip to cool off. Nope. Would not even set one paw in there. In fact, she actively avoided it, dancing with great agility along the narrow bank to avoid getting her paws wet. So clearly she is 0% lab!
I mean, look how hot it's been! Ugh
Now I have four! Four fuzzy things! Ah, ah, ah! Vahnderful!
Poor hot dogs. They all go flat.
Another test is Reaction To Thunder. Sweet, loving Miss Raven, her reaction is to run to the door and Bark Very Loudly at that Noise! Then she remains by the door to protect her family against whatever it could be!
So many silly photos of her flopped around in various poses, I had to make her pose for a portrait for her microchip records. See, she's not boneless! She does a nice SIT.
This morning I noticed that she was (almost) cuddling with Thistle. That was something! Thistle won't even let Cricket, DL, or me sit that close to her! I guess she has reached some sort of agreement with Raven!
Well anyway now that we have two squeezy dogs, Queen Thistle is officially absolved of being squozen against her will. Her responsibilities are now limited to what she gives willingly: Wisdom, beauty, guidance, judgement, temperance, and grace. Happy second retirement, Your Royal Highness!

2 comments:

mdr said...

I cannot believe when I saw the temperature rising to the 80's there. It is 82F said weather.com
it is only 78F here today...

Arvay said...

@mdr: Yes, it's been awful. And we are in for another week of weather like this. :( But that should be the end of it. Then we slide into fall. :)