nopin

Sunday, January 10, 2021

A warm spell

We got a chinook. Although temps have not come above freezing, more overflow appeared in new patches on the trail.
Such is the strange behavior of water and ice, that while the actual creek passing has gotten wider, it's still frozen solid.
It was so warm, and the snow so packed, that I unhooked the girls for the downhill portions.
My Skijor Line Bag™ works well--it's roomy enough to coil up the lines without them getting all tangled up, and there is a front pocket for Yummy Chummies!
Such good girls! They stick nearby. I had forgotten how much fun it is to ski downhill with just gravity, instead of battling the dogs while I snowplow and they lunge to go faster. They are all "Look how fast we can run!" And I'm all, "I know how fast you can run, but it's Not Necessary!" Everything's beta, with just mgsinθ!
However, when we get close to home, I have to hook back up, because they like to make a mad dash for home, and I don't want to lose sight of them. I used to let Autumn and Linden and Roo do that, but since losing Roo, I keep them on a much smaller radius. That was a loss I don't think my heart could bear again.
The overflow has gotten so wide that I take off my skis to cross it now, since my boots have better traction than my skis. The girls are pretty patient, and I've taught them that I do NOT appreciate being yanked off my feet.

2 comments:

mdr said...

I thought a Chinook was a fish you caught from melting river/pond/whatever. haha

Global warming causes changes, including unprecedented CA fires (dry weather and drier trees) . Be extra cautious with frozen ice look-alike surfaces. You know where the rivers and ponds are in your area, but you don't know what global warming can make unpredictable changes, please please stay away especially when alone and during Covid time.

Arvay said...

@mdr, thank you for your concern!