nopin

Sunday, January 17, 2021

Good eats

One the Seventh Day of Christmas, we cooked up the last of the Christmas ham! The ham and bean soup is always the last thing, and apparently (I never knew!) white bean and ham soup is called Senate Bean Soup, having been served in the Senate restaurants daily as early as 1903. The senate version does not contain greens, though! I always add either collards, kale, or well... No, I think just collards and kale are my favorites. I put chard into this one, and I definitely prefer collards or kale!
Way back in March, before the first cases of COVID-19 were detected in Alaska, I made two rather indulgent purchases: a cast iron pizza pan (this is indulgent due to space, not price. I think it cost $40, but it takes up an entire rack of my oven, and I have to move it in and out every time I bake something that is not pizza), and a ridiculously tiny 1.25-quart Le Creuset pot. It will heat soup for two (if it's a side), soup for one (if it's your meal), and it cost almost two hundred dollars! But I waaaaaaaaaaaaanted it, and I have to admit that I use it at least three times a week to heat up soup or beans for lunch. And since it has such a high thermal mass, I use it to melt chocolate, too! Both of these purchases were excellent pandemic indulgences--I have made so many pizzas, so many focaccias, and so many quick lunches! Here is a favorite: Condensed chicken noodle soup with leftover pico de gallo.
It's healthy since it contains tomatoes and jalapeños, and it's fancy since it's in Le Creuset!
Sunday Omelettes! Omelette you admire the perfection:
While I am grateful for grid electricity and my trusty Subaru, I think my favorite Modern Invention is our food production, delivery, and storage systems. Look, I made a peach pie! In Alaska! In January! Just think of all that went into that! The crust is half Delta-grown barley flour from the Alaska Flour Company. It's more finely milled than whole wheat. You can barley tell it's healthier!
Here is what we had for supper tonight--brown rice, baked salmon in teryaki sauce, and sautéed kale. This exact meal is in our rotation frequently.
Here is a photo of Grumpy Bastard™ Husband and Incorrigibly Spoiled Princess™ Dog. They look pretty harmless, don't they? :~D
And here is a photo of Queen Thistle, so she doesn't feel left out!

No comments: