nopin

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Brrr!

We hit -12F/-24C (below 0F for the first time this season) this morning. With THREE (!!) recent snowstorms, the snow was in awesome shape!

Here is a view from our spur to the main trail system:


We were the first on the trail this morning!


Starbuckeroo looking WOLFIE!


Cricket is super happy!


Oooo! Yellow shiny stuff on the ridge!


And a glowy sky!


Sun in the trees:


Happy pups!


I caught this thing through the back window!


Starbuck's right shoulder troubles her from time to time. It's the reason she was retired at only 7 years of age. Lately, it seems to be acting up again. Our vet had told us when we first got her, to only use Rimadyl (an NSAID) sparingly, because it's hard on her liver. Gapapentin would be the drug of choice if she had to be on painkillers long-term. I expressed concern about masking pain and letting her be too active when she should be resting, but both her vet and her former musher told us to let her judge her own abilities, and if she wants to run and play to let her do so. After stewarding Autumn and Linden to the ripe age of 17.5, I have decided that quality of life is way more important to dogs than quantity of life, so I am going to lean on the side of letting Roo have more painkillers, and also more time running and playing. I'd rather she pass away of liver failure sooner, than live much longer without having fun. She LOVES to have fun! :)

It hurts my heart to see her limp, but I comfort myself with two things:

1) Dogs can and do run and play and have fun with only three legs! Surely a bum shoulder is not as bad as that!

and

2) If Starbuck had not had a bum shoulder, she would not have been pulled from mushing to live with us! She'd still be working, and living outdoors. I think, surely she prefers her life with us and her couch!

So comfy!

5 comments:

bt said...

Quality of life over quantity of life -- it's a tough call, but a loving one that you've made.

Arvay said...

@bt: Thanks! I think pain management is a different ballgame with active animals. Humans and couch potato dogs can find joy in a more sedentary life, but not huskies who love to run!

e.davis said...

Would acupuncture be an option for Roo? I'm treating my 12.5 yr old Golden/Aussie with a combination of Carprofen & acupuncture for arthritis in his spine. When I consulted with our vet if she thought acupuncture could help, she even referred me to another vet in my area for treatment:) The results are definitely noticeable-it has put the bounce back in the step of a busy,active dog:)

Arvay said...

@e. davis, that might be an option! I am going to look into it. Also cold laser therapy. Thank you!

e.davis said...

Yay! I hope it works out:) Cold laser is another good option.(I haven't tried it for our pup but it did work for me!)