nopin

Sunday, March 24, 2019

Homer, Part II

As promised, here are the rest of the Homer photos.

The next day was our "unscheduled" vacation day, but I was still working on this white paper I had due the following Monday morning, so sat some more at the World's Most Beautiful Workspace and ran out to the balcony and snapped photos whenever something picturesque happened.

Like the sun peeking out and doing this Deep Thoughts thing:


Or a storm coming in across the inlet:


Or a pretty little boat:


Or these mountains appearing out of the gloom!


Or the sun finally coming out, kind of.


This is what passes for "a sunny day" in Homer:


So this guy came out to go fishing, because of course!


I wanted to get off the spit and look at the main town of Homer. It's... not super exciting, but it was pretty and picturesque. My favorite visit was to this bookstore:


Observance of Hermits! As we stepped inside, the proprietor called out, "Hello! Feel free to look around at your own risk!"

The store was roughly (and I use that adverb in every sense of the term) divided into sections that showed his humor:


"The books in this section are priced 25 ¢ to $2 according to literary merit determined solely and arbitrarily by proprietor."


My acquisitions:


It took a lot of self-control to limit myself. I had to put back an Isabelle Allende book I had not read yet, and a very large collection of American historical folklore. I had brought to Homer a bottle of locally distilled Fairbanks vodka as a favor to one of the conference organizers. She wanted to have four bottles as auction items, so four different people each carried one. I wrapped it all up in thick bubble wrap, and it took up quite a bit of space in my little suitcase! I figured I had that much space for books, but exhausted it quickly!

I also got these tiny guides from a local fish processor and store, Coal Point Seafood. Their fish market is amazing! You can get two kinds of crab, as well as clams, salmon, halibut, and black cod! I was tempted to pack a whole box to ship home in dry ice, but had no time to figure out the logistics of that.


I have quite a few wilderness survival guides and first aid guides, but knowledge changes with time, as more calamities accumulate in the human experience and people learn new ways of doing things. So I got these new ones.

6 comments:

gina said...

I love all the pictures of places I haven't seen !

e.davis said...

1970's Homer- looked at my pictures (slides now scanned for ease of access) were mostly of surrounding scenery, mountains, inlet, & a shot or two of town going out to the spit. Not many buildings there at all. Maybe my Dad didn't think it was worthy of more photos!

mdr said...

The survival guides are great to keep, maybe newer ones in the car compartment and older ones at home. We had been at Homer too, three of us and JF, you girls were given filet salmon by fishermen after the salmon run, I cooked them in RV.

Arvay said...

@gina: Glad you like them!

@e. davis: I'd have loved to have seen that!

@mdr: That was Seward! I had never been to Homer.

e.davis said...

Arvay, I could email you a few photos if you would like! Please let me know.

Arvay said...

@e. davis, I'd love that! My email address is danceswithratsATgmail.com. :)