nopin

Friday, February 28, 2020

Welcome, Thistle!

Cricket came to work with me yesterday, and we left early to go pick up Thistle. Do you think she is comfy?


She sure looks comfy:


In preparation for bringing her home, I added her drawing to our treat buckets:


She has flippetty-flappetty ears, like Cricket's. She also has the same coloring as Cricket, but unlike Cricket, who is part pointer, she is more traditional husky, so she has a fuzzier coat and a more classic husky nose, instead of Cricket's pointy, slopey schnozzle.

While I was at work yesterday, the dog handlers at Dew Claw were getting a bit sentimental, and took some beautiful photos of Thistle out in the sunshine:


I sent one back of Cricket:


She got comfy pretty quickly, although she has yet to embrace the couch (or eating veggies):


This morning, Cricket actually hung out with her a bit:


It was cooold!


So rather than take them skijoring as planned, we ran around the neighborhood surface streets, with them in harness attached to my skijor belt, and me just flying along behind them! They make a great team! I only hope that they don't think they are working and will still enjoy their walks, sniffing things at their leisure!

I'm glad to see that she has a good appetite and eats like a classic gweedy husky:


Jodi does touring now. Here is one of Thistle's last photos leading her team taking some tourists out on a ride:


Their previous handler, V, sent me this photo:


"Thistle in lead... helping me in my first race evaaa šŸ˜šŸ˜ such a good girl" (Her partner leader here is Spitzer; Cricket's sister Bedbug is Spitzer's mom!)

Here is a photo of the two of them together, on a fall training run. This must have been a while ago; Thistle has been a leader for at least 5 years now, and I've had Cricket for 3. Well here, Thistle is in swing (second from the front, although she's in the front of the photo since the leaders aren't in this photo), and Cricket is two places behind her:

5 comments:

mdr said...

Beautiful Thistle. She has a cuter face than Cricket and remind me of Autumn. I can see you all will have a good life together. Gohonzon bless..

gina said...

What a wonderful addition Thistle is to your family ! She it right in with Cricket on the bed.

e.davis said...

Welcome home Thistle:) Looks like she fits right in & getting on well with Cricket too. So happy for you:)

rena said...

Oooooh! I'm so glad to hear of Thistle. Yay! Also I am so amused by the picture of the sled dogs in their shoes. It must take HOURS to put shoes on so many doggies! Like the shoe-wearing caterpillar in James in the Giant Peach.
At a recent REI used-gear sale, I saw a pack of 3 dog booties. The label said "Dog did not like. Ate one shoe. Three left"

Arvay said...

Thank you mdr, gina, and e.davis for the welcomes! I'll pass them on to Thistle.

Rena, yes, booties are a pain and are treated as disposable, as they wear out or fall off and are lost. And yes, some dogs EAT them, ugh, and if they don't barf them up, that is an ER visit (and my late Linden was one of those dogs...) LOL at the label!