nopin

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Good Eats

I have a backlog of food photos to share! I have organized them by meal.

Breakfasts

Omelette with turkey, bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes, topped with queso fresco and chives from the garden:


The breakfast the morning after taco night, with leftover guacamole and pico de gallo:


Yum! My love of pico de gallo is why I always keep my knives razor-sharp.

Huevos rancheros, with black beans, salsa from a jar, and cilantro from the garden (and of course queso fresco because what is life without cheese?):


Lunches

Grilled cheese and tomatoes!


Oh I guess that's it for lunches. They are a bit less interesting...

Suppers

Guacamole and pico de gallo in the making!


Now everything is ready for tacos!


Heating tortillas and beans:


Pan-frying the fish (this is cod, but I also do this with rockfish and halibut):


Oh dang I never photographed our actual tacos. Oh well.

OK here is moosey noodle soup with collard greens:


Here are crabcakes!


We had crab legs for DL's birthday dinner, and the Best Thing in the World to do with leftover crab is crabcakes! I thought of the perfect thing to go with crabcakes; this potato salad that has green beans!


A perfect meal!


Here are roast veggies, from the least exciting veggies from our CSA: red beets, yellow beets, and kohlrabi. I added olive oil, salt, and thyme from my garden:


They came out... okay. How exciting can roast veggies be?


A fine thyme was had by all.

This is chicken and peanut stew:


The recipe hails from Ghana. I learned about it on the underside of a peanut butter jar. I had forgotten that it calls for sweet potatoes, so didn't buy any. I substituted yellow potatoes and carrots. It is topped liberally with cilantro:


It's absolutely delicious, and it inspired me to order a Ghana cookbook. I wonder what else they eat in Ghana!

Dessert

My rhubarb is going nuts, as usual, so I got some strawberries to make a classic strawberry rhubarb pie. That combination is just so magical. The syrup that comes out is like ambrosia. Well, I got lazy and didn't feel like making a pie, so I stewed the berries and rhubarb with sugar and lemon juice to make a simple compote:


It had the same magical flavor as a pie filling, without me having to make a pie!


Here is an obligatory photo of my faithful kitchen supervisors:


The fireweed is juuuuuuust starting to bloom. They don't look so vivid pink in the rain:


3 comments:

mdr said...

Mouth watering pictures -- thank you for sharing. SE is your foody fan.

Roast vegi is better than pan frying, yes.

e.davis said...

Mmm-delicious :-) Glad you're getting fresh veg too. Farmers market has been there throughout. Just started going back as we missed good farm fresh produce- it's a different experience now since Corona. Thanks for sharing your good eats and best kitchen supervisors ever:)

Arvay said...

@mdr and @e: Glad you enjoy my photos!