nopin

Sunday, April 19, 2020

Happy Chinese Easter!

This is the first time in a long time we celebrated Easter instead of Chinese Easter. Usually we get a half-priced ham the day after Easter, and have it with friends a week later (that would be today). But alas, there are no gatherings at this time. Funnily enough, I had a half-priced ham in my freezer from the day after Christmas last year, so I decided that as long as we were breaking with tradition, we'd go all out and have it on actual Easter. What a shame that we could not have anyone over to share it with us. But DL was so kind as to inform me that he would happily eat an entire ham with me. He is so kind! Actually, most hams in the supermarkets today are half hams, not whole hams, which would be what Dorothy Parker was referring to when she defined eternity as "a ham and two people". :)

My first task for the feast was a pie:


And here is the ham!


For a veggie, I braised collards with garlic:


A rare photo of DL, with the ham:


There it is!


There was extra pastry dough from the pies, so I made tiny cheese empanadas. Another trick from loyal reader and meatworld friend Rena!


The finished pie!


Peach is DL's favorite. And I finally mastered a semi-healthy crust, made with half barley flour, which is less gritty than whole wheat.


Leftover ham uses!

Grilled ham and cheese sandwiches:


And now we interrupt our food reportings with a photo of the dogs cleaning their fangs!


Yes, fangs!


OK now a classic ham and white bean soup, which kale and carrots:


And finally, the last ham scraps in omelettes, which we had exactly one week after Easter:


Omelette you enjoy this photo. DL staged it:

2 comments:

Rena said...

mmmmm, empanadas! I've also got some leftover ham in the fridge. I'm going to turn it into steamed char-shu bao. A hefty amt of green onion, some oyster sauce, a touch of ginger and garlic, a little hoisin.
My kids can eat trays and trays of the stuff. I use Andrea Nugyen's recipe which has yeast and baking powder, and double the recipe.

mdr said...

Yes, more steamed, more baked, more stewed, less stir fried and no deep fried.