nopin

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Being "Single" for a single day

Today, Starbuckeroo's acupuncture appointment was at 1 p.m., which effectively cuts my day in half. Our fancy new office is not dog-friendly, so rather than drive back and forth shuttling dogs, I decided to use a vacation day and go skiing.

Last night, a storm blew in, dumping us with 3 inches of the thicker, heavier snow we get when it's warmer. So I started shoveling this morning. I had not shoveled in maybe a year. DL is a very devoted partner. :) I got a quarter done, when it was time to go to the vet. While we were gone, another 2 inches of snow came down, so I re-shoveled when I got home. Partway through, I got hungry and thirsty, so heated myself up a can of soup and ate it out of the pot. As I stood at the stove in my boots, eating my soup out of the pot, I realized, today was just like my single days!

I am absolutely happy and eminently grateful to be with DL, but my single days were just fine! I think you need to be just fine by yourself before you can find a good partner. That way you know you didn't choose them out of loneliness or convenience. The irony is that it took some "hard" (but also completely healthy and normal) experiences to get to that place--growing up with a single mom, having unsupportive partners, all taught me that I was capable of taking care of myself and need not be in any rush to jump into a relationship until it was just right!

And here we are!

2 comments:

e.davis said...

Here's to gratitude for a devoted partner:)We've been together 3 decades now & the best part was when we met, neither he nor I were out there looking for a relationship- just happy by ourselves. We share our lives with a family of our choosing, three K9s :)
P.S. hope Roo's acupuncture is going well!

bt said...

A beautiful observation. I think there are many paths to happy relationships, but yours is a common one of independent development followed by making space for a partner that is particularly gorgeous!