nopin

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Good Eats, Snuggles, Merry Christmas, and a pair of Meese

So the other day, I bought a raclette grill. Of course I had to break it in immediately.

Mmmmm, grilled asparagus!


Mmmmmmm, melty grilled cheese!


Stir-fry:


I teach my students that mechanics problems are like a stir-fry. They are theoretically simple, like how on cooking shows, the chef says, "Look! Just put a bit of this, a bit of that, sauté, and voilà!! But the problem is, he or she has an army of sous-chefs preparing, chopping, and measuring out each little bowl. The chef only makes it look quick by tossing them together on camera. Of course, dicing onions and julienning carrots is not conceptually difficult; it just takes time and care. So it is with mechanics problems. The overall governing equation is simple. F=ma. σ=Mc/I. 𝜏=Tc/J. The tedium is in calculating F, M, c, I, T, and/or J. And those pieces individually are not difficult either (just like dicing an onion or measuring soy cause is not difficult), but it does take time. So you calculate each piece, set it aside in its own little bowl, and then assemble them all together!

This year, I decided to try making my own tamales. My first time! All of the internets said that it was a long, time-consuming process, but I figured, how could it be worse than jiao-zhes, which are like, the pomegranate of food preparation? At least tamales have more food per wrap, right? Plus, the meat is already cooked, so there is no handling of raw pork, which has always bugged me. I figured I was up for it.






Not bad! Not bad at all! I added stir-fried brussels sprouts for veggies. I guess brussels sprouts are a holiday tradition for some folks, as they always seem to be piled up with the "seasonal" things around Thanksgiving and Christmas.





Today, Starbuck-A-Roo and I went to visit her friends at the Denali Center. We are not allowed to take photos of them, because HIPAA, but here are photos of her in the volunteer lounge afterwards:




Selfie attempt!


Here is a gratuitous cute photo of Cricket holding her fishy:


All my Fuzzies!


Merry Christmas, everyone! Here is a photo of a mamamoose and her babe, in our driveway:

No comments: