nopin

Monday, December 24, 2018

Moose pho!

I decided to try to make pho with moose ribs:


I bought some premixed aromatic packets from amazon:


And browned the ribs in oil and garlic cloves:


While Starbuck was So Kind as to supervise:


Then I transferred it to the wood stove and let it simmer for a whole day.


The next day, I decided we should just use the broth for pho, and eat the rib meat over rice for separate meals later. So I scooped out the ribs and meat and put them into pyrex storage at the back of the fridge. They are falling-off-the-bone tender and flavored with Vietnamese aromatics, so they will be great for a later meal (or more likely two)!


And instead, I bought some nice small, lean (free-range and grass-fed and organic) steaks, partially froze them, and sliced them super-thin:


Add-ins...


... require some substitution in winter in Fairbanks! Bean sprouts and fresh basil are both available only intermittently in winter, so I substituted shredded daicon and this product:

I'd long been told that dried basil tastes entirely differently from fresh, but this was okay. Another diversion is that this is Italian basil. I *know* I can taste the difference between Italian and Southeast Asian basil, but I'm not sure it really matters. As for the daicon, I think I actually prefer it to beansprouts! It holds a nice crunch, and the bitter tang adds a nice counterpoint to the richness of the broth.

The finished product:


It was fantastic, and we had it for two nights in a row! I also have leftovers of lime and jalapeños so duh! I told DL to Obtain some Avocados when he went into town today, so we can have guacamole with our breakfast tomorrow. It's interesting that the same suite of fresh aromatics and flavors (lime, onions, green onions, cilantro, garlic, and jalapeños) go with both Vietnamese and Mexican food, and it reminds me of how these cultures live side by side in both San Francisco and San Jose. Isn't this country great?

3 comments:

e.davis said...

Wow your pho looks delicious & worth the effort involved!
Enjoyed your Berkeley report as well. Zacharys is a familiar place for this Chicago girl too! So are the strolls down Solano. Will drive there for Christmas dinner with family today. Merry Christmas to you & yours:)

rena said...

Well done! Looks like great food. As for the crossover between Mexican and Viet food, I remember reading an article interviewing a Mexican man at a pho restaurant. He was a regular customer, and said that it reminded him of menudo - the lime/cilantro, the tripe, the broth.

I wonder if you'd be able to grow basil inside during the winter? My purple Thai basil seems to be relatively cold-hardy as it is lasting through our mild Ca winter - so I know it can withstand temps down to about 40 at night, 60 during the day. Surely your cabin is somewhere near those temps indoors?

Arvay said...

@Rena, I may have you try that!

@e. davis, I hope you had a lovely Christmas in Berkeley!