nopin

Saturday, January 5, 2019

New Year Tamales!

Here is my New Year Tamal report.

I used bacon fat in the masa, and roasted a pork loin in foil with salt, pepper, garlic, and onions:


When I chopped up the pork, I let the onions and garlic fall wherever they happened to fall. Some of the tamales ended up with chunks of roasted aromatic goodness:


It goes pretty quickly once you get into a rhythm:


Steamed for two hours:


I made guacamole to have with them the first night, but used salsa from the refrigerated section of the store:


Mmmm!


So pretty, with the colors of the Mexican flag!

4 comments:

bt said...

Feliz Ano Nuevo! Those look delicious

mdr said...

You were good at baking, and now really are becoming a good cook. I am sure they all taste as good as they look. I know for two reasons: I tasted your cooking when I visited last time AND you put your heart in good home cooking. Lucky DL.

rena said...

Happy New Years! I don't steam mine for that long. But I make them smaller - like half a fist. Then they're done in 30 mins or so - when I can start smelling them. also if you use super hot water/broth when you mix together your masa, you will pretty much pre-cook the masa. The downside is that if you add baking powder to the masa you've just activated it with the heat....so you have to handle the dough without smashing it too much.

Arvay said...

Thank you, everyone! @Rena, I will have to try making smaller ones, too!