nopin

Friday, April 12, 2019

More Food Photos

Maybe the last red beans and rice of the season. Served with braised collard greens:


I had a brief trip to DC. Actually, Alexandria. This is the Woodrow Wilson Memorial Bridge:


My one night at liberty, I took a walk downtown:

I was excited to eat something we can't get in Fairbanks, but wasn't sure what. Good Mexican? There were quite a few Italian places. An Ethiopian place. A Levantine place. I kept walking, kept walking. Nothing made my heart sing until I hit a seafood joint on the water. Perfect! I sucked it up and ordered a $30 crab cake dinner. When it arrived, I could see why it was $30. It wasn't an overmixed, overground mash of "crab mix". It was big chunks of crab, only nominally formed into cakes and perfectly fried. It was pretty much a plate of already-peeled crab meat.

Well, seeing as we had an entire box of crab at home from our last Alaska Marine Conservation Council order:


So prettily organized in the box!


I decided a crab feast at home was in order!


I served it with garlic noodles, just like at PPQ Crab in my hometown (except mine were just tossed with garlic and oil, and not fried):


With the leftover cooked meat, OF COURSE I had to try to make crab cakes. I decided on this recipe. I do not usually care for recipes that celebrate their blandness and claim that excess flavor would "ruin" them. But on the other hand, how could I not choose one of those, when something as subtle as crab needs to shine? (sorry a few of these photos are blurry)


Mmmm!


They came out freaking perfect! DL: "Are these as good as the ones you had in Virginia?" Me: "Hell yeah."


My next DC culinary challenge was to use up all of these dried apricots I had bought for snackies. It turns out that my schedule shifted around at the last minute and enabled me to eat more proper meals, so I ended up with a surplus of apricots to use up. As soon as I brought them home to Fairbanks, of course they started hardening and shriveling, so I had to use them up. I decided on apricot walnut bread, which I made with all Delta Junction barley flour, which is softer than whole wheat. So unlike whole wheat, which I use in a 1:1 blend with white flour, I went for 100% healthy barley!


Not bad! And the apricots looked so pretty! Like little jewels!


Here is a pretty photo of a stir-fry, and fried rice:


And brownies!


Mmmm!

1 comment:

rena said...

Wow, a whole box of crab legs! Luxury! Looks like good eats at the homestead. Brownieeeees - and all corner pieces, now you're talking!