nopin

Friday, January 31, 2020

I love you, Starbuck-A-Roo

Starbuck A Roo 26 Jan 2007 - 26 Jan 2020

Starbuck-A-Roo, the Roo of my heart, the Roo of my soul, was hit by a car. We were headed out to walk the trails, and she and Cricket ran down the trail behind our house with classic insane happy husky joy. At the bottom of our hill, you turn right to go to the main trail system. Autumn and Linden have done it a thousand times. Roo and Cricket at least 100's. But for whatever reason, when I got to the bottom of the hill, their tracks did not point right; they pointed left. Toward the road. Well, it's still a quarter mile to the road, so I wasn't worried. It was pretty cold (-20F), so I figured the princesses had just decided it was too cold for them and run home. So I shouted their names. Cricket came to me. Roo did not. I figured she was on the porch. So Cricket and I walked back up (DL was inside, recovering from a knee pain). We opened the door. DL said he had not seen Roo, but he got dressed and came outside to look with us. Cricket and I headed back out. Again, no tracks to the right, only to the left. We walked back up to the house. The answering machine was blinking.

The man was very kind and compassionate and brought her body back to us. He explained how she had just darted in front of his truck, with no time for him to avoid her. She left us instantly. She didn't suffer. DL retrieved her body while this stranger witnessed my grief and responded with kindness and honesty. I noticed that after he read her tag, which reads "Starbuck (Roo)", he called her "Roo". It was the name she gave herself, and it suited her so well that no-one who knew it called her "Starbuck" anymore. I was touched that a stranger picked up on it.

I held her body. It was still soft and fuzzy, but cold and dusted with snow. Her soffty paws were still sofft and frito-y, but cold. I reminded myself that it was just a shell I was holding. An empty shell that was beautiful only because of what it had once contained. We took her to the vet to be cremated. I told her she was The Best, and that I'd love her forever, and I'd miss her forever, and I'd never forget her. I collapsed on our living room floor.

Cricket displays the same Wisdom at the loss of her sister as Roo did with her Friends at the Denali Center--She loved her very, very, very much, but the time to honor them is while they are alive, but when they are gone, life goes on, and they want us to pursue life. Eat, Cricket says. Sleep, Cricket says. But I'm afraid I'm not as Wise or as Strong as dogs, and I cannot stop crying. I worked from home much of this week, going in only to teach. I lined up both Love and distractions. I cuddled Cricket, bundled up for a daily run at -30, took Cricket to visit MK so we could cuddle her bunch. I vacuumed, I sorted old clothes for donations, I reviewed my lectures for each day's class. And I cried at the wall, I cried at the woodstove, I cried at the couch, I cried into my tea, I sobbed into DL's arms, and I sobbed uncontrollably while Cricket leaned her head into my chest.

I loved Autumn and Linden very dearly, but I had the honor and quiet pleasure of watching them grow old. Roo was on her 13th birthday, which non-husky owners would say is a good run, but which every husky owner knows is a too-soon wrenching of her from our lives. The loss of her physicality hurts the most. She was soooo sofffft and soooo huggable and sooooo loving, and she was almost always at my side. I still slice carrot slices in half and then look down and see only Cricket there. I know that on the whole we have still been blessed, and I am grateful for the 6 years we have had together. I still feel as if I have been punched in the chest, but all of the dog lovers around me (and there are many in Fairbanks!) who have gone through this grief say that the only way through it is through it, and one day, I will smile instead of cry when I think of her.

All of my dogs have been exceptionally sweet, but only one was so overflowing with sweetness and love that she needed to be a therapy dog:


And she had a Heart on her Chest:


And she looooooved each and every one of us!

Roo looooved Autumn:


And Roo looooooved Booger:


And Roo looooooved me:


And Roo looooooooved Cricket:


And Roo loooooooved DL:


And Roo! Loved! Snow!


She smeared her face into it and slid like an otter:


Oh yeah!


Here is a video:

SSsnnnnoooowww!


I comfort myself to think of them reunited:


I loved them so, so much:


This was on the side of Donnelly Dome:


Roo never knew Autumn and Linden as young dogs. She only knew them as elderly ladies. I hope they are running and playing together in the snow, as she never saw in life.


I feel similarly about her Friends at the Denali Center. I'm sure she is very happy to see that her Friends are not in fact bedridden or in wheelchairs, and can run and hike and ski with her!

Well, one regret I don't have to live with, is that I always gave them my all while I had them, I am 100% confident of that. Even if it was past midnight and I was exhausted and had an 8 a.m. class the next day, if she came and sat next to me, I always petted and cuddled her until SHE was done. I never wish I could have loved her more, because I loved her as much as I possibly could.

I texted my pastor about it: "How can I get through the rest of my life without hugging her and holding her soffty paws?"

He replied:
Ahhh well, you hug the memories and carry her forever and ever in your heart and sooner or later find someone else who will need your love. And 90 years from now, which will seem like forever but really will be just a twinkling, when you step into the Country of Light, there will be...

And sometime, ohhh sometime, either when you need it absolutely the most or when thy spirit has settled a bit, there will come a dream, or you'll suddenly feel a wet nose in your hand, or a just Roo's smell in the wind, and you'll smile, knowing that because Love never ends, Roo is always and still and forever with you.

And all the time apart will be as nothing.

6 comments:

mdr said...

Muffin, Autumn, Linden and Roo are now playing together.. Roo was about Muffin's age. I thought the same as how you are thinking when I lost Muffin girl, also the sweetest and most easy going girl. It is okay, time heals.

"Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together...."

Author unknown...

b said...

I'm so sorry to hear this heartbreaking story. I understand the feeling of having your beloved dog taken away all too soon and so suddenly. It was 18 years ago and I remember it clearly. We were out of town in Canada, driving on a mountain road, when the call came from our pet sitter (a very expensive one that keeps the pet in her home in a home environment) that Wilbur had been poisoned somehow. I won't get into the details, but we flew back and he was gone with 24 hours. Wilbur was just over a year old and a super happy, goofy, lovable guy. But the part that really hurt (for me) was how much more of his life he had left to live. I felt terribly about that. And the what ifs kept coming at me for a very long time... What if we had never gone on vacation? Or we should have put him in a standard boarding kennel where he is locked up in a kennel? People told us we should sue the pet sitter etc. etc. It took some time to find peace with it. Starbuck had such a wonderful life and certainly much longer than Wilbur's! And they sound so compatible - I'm sure hoping they romp together on the other side of the rainbow bridge!

Arvay said...

@mdr, thank you.

@b, I remember Wilbur, although I had never met him. I remember his beautiful photos and Lemma's irritation, haha. A pet owner who suffers a premature loss can second-guess themselves to death, but at the end of the day, we loved them the best we could with the knowledge we had at the time, and that has to be enough. {{{hugs}}} to you. I'm sure silly Wilbur and silly Roo and silly Booger are playing together while Autumn sighs at them. :)

bt said...

Oh, Arvay. I cried reading this post. I hope, in doing so, I was able to take some tiny piece of your sadness and carry it away and into the world of tears for you. My heart aches for you, but I agree that you obviously loved her as well and as hard as you could for the time you were given with her. {{Biggest Hugest Hugs}}

e.davis said...

I so feel your pain Daisy & cried as I read this. It is so very hard to lose someone so dear too soon. My theroopy dog Jewel was only 11-12 in August. Take comfort knowing that we'll see them all again. Big hugs to you.

Arvay said...

@bt and e.davis, it does help to know that others share my pain. Thank you.