nopin

Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Good Fall Eats

Now that cooler weather is here again, I actually enjoy turning on my oven. I can also get yeast again, so I use it freely instead of hoarding precious little packets and doing strange things like buying "instant" pizza crust in a pilsbury can and then massaging it from a rectangle into a circle.

So here is the order in which our supplies recovered:

Toilet paper
Bleach in bottles
Hand Sanitizer
Bleach wipes
Yeast

I never would have guessed that toilet paper and yeast would be hoarded items in a global crisis, but I would have been wrong.

Anyway, here is my long-awaited focaccia:

I greated asiago on top. When it was done, I thought, Huh, I could make this like a cheese bagel. And a few days later, I did that, using a coarse grater and mixing asiago inside the dough along with sprinkling more on top.
It was very nice.
Another thing that only appears in our rotation in colder months: mac n cheese! (with meatloaf and roasted brussels sprouts)
My last two cartons of eggs both came from different sources (one local here in Fairbanks, the other in Washington), and both contained double-yolked eggs!
A few days later, I made several loaves of pumpkin bread, and found that every single egg in both cartons was a double-yolker! What are the odds of that??
Here is my long-awaited pizza. (And potato leek soup)
Mmm
Here is a quiche
And roasted turnips from one of our last CSA shares.
Potatoes roast nicely too!
I roasted those alongside this spatchcocked chicken:
These, my friends, are Laura Bush's Texas Cowboy Cookies. I'm no fan of that Potential-First-Lady cookie contest. I think it's a relic from a bygone era. But I lovelovelove Laura Bush's cookies. Anyway, since Family Circle Magazine, which was the keeper of this silly tradition, has gone under, I guess we'll never know what cookies Jill Biden would have put forth. Anyway, I think these are a real deal family recipe! (I have my doubts about the Clintons', since Bill struggles with his health and is now a vegan, as well as Melania Trump's, since she is a model whose marriage and career both depend on her physical appearance.) I found it on the George W. Bush Presidential Center website.
Texas, which if Alaska were divided in half, would be the third largest state in the Nation, is very proud of Doing Things Big, so there are a whoppin' ten cups of add-ins (oats, chocolate chips, pecans, shredded coconut).
And Mrs. Bush directs you to scoop them out in quarter cups, so they are big!
I would like to wish all 14 of my loyal readers a lovely, safe, and peaceful Fall. May we all return to Boring Times soon. :)

3 comments:

mdr said...

SE and I enjoy, enjoy and enjoy your "good eats" postings. SE drools because she loves cheese products. Mdr, being no fan for cheese, is happy to look at your beautifully made products. Thank you and be safe and well. BTW, Chinese think "double-yolk" brings good luck, not sure in today's health standard. One egg daily is the max if no cholesterol concerns. Extra yolks can be put away for future use -- Brush egg yolk on cookie top when almost done makes cookie shine and yummier.

Arvay said...

@mdr, Papa should make SE cheese products that the two of them can share. :)

Vanessa said...

Can you hear my belly grumbling all the way from Sonoma Co.??? Too many goodies on your post. Double yolks are fun, I've only ever gotten those a few times. Double luck to you!