nopin

Monday, March 24, 2014

A walk to the ol' Beaver Pond

Last weekend, we walked down to the old Beaver Pond where I had collected and tested snow for my thesis work.

The air was so clear that the Alaska Range was visible (about 100 miles):

Solar resource studies have indicted that we get our greatest solar resource at this time of year, beating even the summer with its longer daylight ours. This is due to clearer air, higher conversion efficiency in semiconductor-based photovoltaic cells at cooler temperatures, and reflection off the snow.

The back of Quist Farm:


The leg of the trail that leads to the pond has become a veritable highway:

when compared against my snow-collecting days. My guess is that it's more popular with recreationists now that the main connecting trail has been developed into a full-on driveable road.

The beaver pond:






Kissy kissy!




There are buds on the willows now:


And we saw a PUPPY!


2 comments:

Rena said...

It's beautiful, and I totally get the whole cold solar cell thingie. We see it here at our own house. Dave was thinking about how to cool them during the summer, in fact, but that's another project for another day.
Glad to see the buds on the willow!

Allmycke said...

I also understand the greater rate of solar resource in winter - for example as in how fast the snow melts against a wall facing south and not windy. My parking space where I live is NOT in that position, so I have to shovel it when we have above 0C temperatures, otherwise there is still snow there almost at the beginning of June.