nopin

Monday, February 16, 2015

The irrepressible Miss Booger Dog

Both gracious ladies, Autumn and Linden, have had benign tumors removed from time to time. I've lost count, but I'd estimate probably eight or so tumors have been removed from each girl since I got them in 2007 and 2008. Probably three surgeries each, with 2-3 tumors removed each time, sounds about right. The last time they went under the knife was before we went to Colorado last summer. My favorite group photo, which I have printed out and placed in my office, shows a healing scar on Autumn.

While in Colorado, I noticed I had missed one. Linden still had one on her belly, but, no big deal. It wasn't growing. However, a few months ago, a new one appeared on her wrist, and it was growing fast. I decided to put my old girl, now 15.5 years old, under the knife for maybe just one more time. My vet agreed that, due to her excellent health, it was the right thing to do. Anesthesia and surgery were not risks for her. In the meantime, as long as I'd have a dog in recovery and no skiing/hiking/etc, I decided to have a growth removed from Autumn's eyelid. She's had it as long as I've had her, but it was growing bigger and scratching and irritating her eyeball. You can see it, in the outer corner of her left eye, in this photo.

Aaaanyway, as usual, I dutifully had the ladies fast for 12 hours prior to anesthesia and delivered them to the care of the good Doctor F. Starbuckeroo came to work with me and charmed my coworkers and visitors. I awaited my "your dogs are awake, you can pick them up in two hours" call from a vet technician.

However, Dr. F. himself called me later with bad news. The tumor in Linden's front leg was cancerous and had already spread up her leg. Fibers were going deep into muscle tissue. He said there was no way he could get it all without amputation, but that he would not amputate on a 15-year-old dog. :( He sent some tissue samples for a biopsy, and we should have results today or tomorrow.

Linden is milking looking cute and pathetic, with a bright blue bandage and a Cone of Shame.

"Dis is my hurt leg."


"See, I hurt my leg. Rub my belly."


"I'm lying here with a hurt leg and a cut in my belly. Look how cute I am. I'm soooo hurt. Are you looking?? I'm sooooooo hurt. Hello?!?"


"What? Is... Dis? Wha??"


Autumn: "Aaaand... Linden can't get on the couch. All mine, hell yeah."


Yaaaaaaaaawn...


It seems that there is now an IQ minimum to be on the couch.


I'll be sure to let all 15 of my loyal readers know when we have a prognosis for Miss Goober Pants! In the meantime, both ladies are healing well from surgery. Keeping Linden from bouncing around like a goat kid for eight more days is going to be challenging!

5 comments:

mdr said...

Mdr's blessing to Linden and all her companions. Muffin left at age 14.5 and was considered living a full life, but she was small. You have been taking great care of those dogs, they live longer than Muffin.

Arvay said...

@mdr, I won't give her any treatment that is debilitating. Linden likes to bounce around, and bounce around is what she will do until the good Lord sees fit to take her!

b said...

Awwww, poor Linden. I hope her prognosis is better than you are making it sound!

bt said...

Best wishes to linden for a good prognosis.

I agree with mdr. You have been taking wonderful care of the dogs. They are lucky to have you (and vice versa).

mdr said...

You are right to let her enjoy her life. 15.5 is old for a dog her size, she probably won't respond well to debilitating treatment at this age.