nopin

Friday, December 4, 2020

Post Thanksgiving

Now that I work from home, I think we should be able to put off our morning run until there is some daylight. Then we can enjoy the sunrise and be more aware of our surroundings and not have to wear our blinky lights and reflectors.

However, Miss Thistle likes her routines and hovers by the door.

And Stares At Me while I'm trying to work and it's impossible.
Then I say, "OK fine", and I put on our blinky lights, and we are off in the dark. Sigh.
She also herds me after our (human) supper. She is antsy until I do the dishes, then as I sit with my book she stares. She herds me along to pee. (Seriously! She monitors MY pee schedule!) She's very anxious to take our pre-bedtime, last-empty-the-bladder walk, even if it's only 9 p.m. and not quite bedtime. When we get back, she doesn't get comfy until I brush my teeth. Then finally, finally, she settles into sleep.

Well here she is looking content after our morning run.

She can finally settle in for the day.
These days, sunrise spans from 8:30 to 10:30, and sunset spans from 2:30 to 4:30. I took this photo at 2:30.
In other news, we are finally finished the turkey and have made the turkey soup, the traditional Last Turkey Meal. I decided against the classic wide egg noodles and carrots, and instead made it Italianish, putting onions, tomatoes, oregano, marjoram, thyme, carrots, collards, and tortellini. I exercised more restraint than usual and refrained from adding assorted wilty veggies from the no-longer-crisp pile in the "crisper" drawer. But I still filled the two-gallon pot to the brim (oops).
I made focaccia to have with it, topping with asiago and red pepper flakes. Leftovers made lunch sandwiches!
At some point during the turkey marathon, I got tired of beige turkey permutations and made spicy cashew chicken:
And a veggie scramble with tortillas for breakfast:
On Turkey Pot Pie night, I forgot to put any water into the freezer to make ice water for the crust. Of course, Fairbanks in winter offers its own solution, you just have to push aside the birch seeds:
The first pot pie night, we had it with collard greens:
Look how beautiful these collards are! Veggies are very hit-or-miss these days. These are a hit!
The next night, I wanted to make turkey enchiladas, but DL Very Subtley requested another pot pie, so! For some reason the veggies we had left were all Chinese, so we had it with garlic-fried napa cabbage:
Comfyness Assessment Time! Do you think they are comfy? I sure hope they are comfy.

2 comments:

e.davis said...

Had the same wishful thoughts about walking dogs in the daylight since working from home, but alas their routine dictates otherwise as we venture out at 6:15 into the pre-dawn darkness!
Ah the post-Thanksgiving repast- all of those look delish:) Speaking of delish - I made the "lion heads"- we could hardly wait for them to finish cooking as the tantalizing aroma filled the house. We loved them & SD has already requested that they be made again-soon :) Thanks for sharing:)

Arvay said...

@e, I'm glad it came out good!