nopin

Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Wowee!

Oh my goodness!
The summer intern that I'm supervising is an electrical engineering student who hasn't yet taken the last semester of physics, so I--with Cricket's supervision--got to be the person to tell him that the speed of light is invariant with respect to frame of reference! At one point he asked, "Wait light is a wave that can go through a vacuum... so what is waving?" and we got to discuss the Michelson–Morley experiment as well. (If he had been born 120 years ago, he might've been one of the great physicists of the era, but alas, Bohr and Einstein and them already beat him to it.) We also got to talk about gravitational lensing and Snell's Law and a bunch of other stuff.

It reminded me of a newspaper column I read pre-pandemic in which the author described taking his 13-year-old niece to see Romeo and Juliet performed in a theater. The girl was in suspense the whole time, and cried at the end! I sometimes wish I could experience Romeo and Juliet for the first time, just like I think it would be really awesome to learn about special relativity for the first time.

Is this why other middle-aged people take up extreme sports? Because there are fewer and fewer things we can experience for the first time? I'm very risk-averse and not interested in extreme sports, but arts and literature are always being created, so I will always have that.

4 comments:

MDR said...

BEING SAFE AND HEALTHY == HAPPINESS ( with relationship, daily life etc), RELAXATION (less worries or no worries), ENJOYMENT (can see/read, can eat/talk/listen, can walk/drive etc.)

JUST STICK TO BEING SAFE AND HEALTHY, GOOD LIFE FOLLOWS

Arvay said...

@MDR, THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR LIFE PHILOSOPHY. I THINK IT CARRIES MORE MEANING WHEN YOU USE THE CAPS LOCK KEY. LOWER CASE MEANS YOU DON'T REALLY MEAN IT.

MDR said...

I THINK RA ONCE SAID THE SAME TO ME TOO. RA IS SMART. THANKS, I WILL NOT USE ALL CAPS FOR ANY OFFICIAL STUFFS. I LIKE TO USE ALL CAPS BECAUSE IT MAKES IT MORE CLEAR TO MY OLD EYES. I ALSO LIKE TO ENLARGE FONTS REALLY BIG TOO. MANY OF MY FRIENDS HAD CATEREC EYE SURGERY IN THEIR 60'S, A FEW HAVE MACULAR DEGENERATION, I AM TRYING TO BE NICE TO MY EYES, YOU SHOULD TOO. THANK YOU AGAIN.

Arvay said...

OK MDR HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND!!!