nopin

Saturday, August 28, 2021

Fall is peeking around the corner

The first of the 4 birch threes in front of the cabin is yellow:
And the fireweed has gone to fuzz!
And look! This one plant has turned red!
For some reason, lately the dogs have been acting like it's Opposite Day when we do our off-leash walks. Cricket walks beside me all staid and calm, while Thistle zooms around like a puppy. I can't figure it out.
We walked part of what is called "The Equinox Trail" today, so called because it's part of the Equinox Marathon on Ester Dome. I have not run it in 8 years! And I don't think I will anytime soon either. The trail was quite slippery today, due to the recent rain and the resulting mud. I know I have run it when it was slippery before, but it seemed scary today, of course now being a veteran of a broken leg.

Anyway, there are beautiful views throughout.

Here we are, just 'a-walkin down the trail, singin' "Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do". It's nice to be able to go hiking again. :)
The Equinox Trail is well-used and well-maintained. People even cut drainage pathways so no mud accumulates. This one filled a little pool before it continued down the hillside, and some clever person added some artificial flowers to make it look like a miniature tropical grotto:
If you look at a birch leaf from the right angle, it makes a heart. :)
I also noticed a heart-shaped rock.
This really steep part is called "The Chute", and the marathon has you go DOWN it. I do not run down it!! I very carefully mince down it sideways. There is an aid station at the bottom for people who get injured on it. I do not understand how people can run down it. It sounds like a bad idea to me.
Thistle is not very physically affectionate, but sometimes they almost appear to spoon.
I do think dogs mimic each other, especially more submissive dogs mimimic more dominant dogs. Thistle likes to hang out like this:
And now look what Cricket does! She used to follow Roo's lead on stuff, now she follow's Thistle's. Cricket is a very smart dog in her own right. I see her learning patterns and figuring things out. But when it comes to behavioral conventions, what I call "doggie etiquette", she is a follower, not a leader. And that's fine!

No comments: