nopin

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Shower Mysteries

We have a rather nice shower in my building. It got new fixtures and a general cleanup over the Summer, and it's nice and has lots of water pressure, which, despite my child-of-drought-country guilt, I love. The problem is, it attracts people who don't even work in this building, some of whom I suspect are not even affiliated with UAF, and dang, I get annoyed when people just take their sweet time in the shower, knowing people are waiting. How inconsiderate! There are also the following sources of befuddlement:

1) How come I always have to wait for someone to finish showering, but when I come out, no-one is waiting outside for me?

2) How come I shower at roughly the same time each day, and this person for whom I have been waiting is never the same person twice? I mean, how weird is that? Where does this steady supply of random shower-users come from?

3) What in the heck are people doing in there after they are done showering? I mean, when I hear the water shut off, I think to myself, "Oh good, not much longer now." But then some (actually, most!) people then proceed to spend twenty to, on one memorable occasion, forty minutes in there! I timed myself once, when I knew no-one was waiting outside for me, so I could be sure not to rush and throw off the timing. I came out of the shower, looked at my watch, dried myself, put on lotion, and got dressed. Then I looked at my watch again. Seven minutes had passed. What in heck are people doing in there? I used to think it was girls putting on makeup or doing the other sundry girly things that I find inexplicable, but guys do it too!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

why do you shower at work then?

Arvay said...

I don't have a shower at home.

Anonymous said...

Don't rush through your long-waited and deserved shower. Take as long as those guys and let them wait.

Arvay said...

I don't rush, in particular. But I don't take long on purpose, out of spite. Inconsideration is like road rage. When someone inflicts it on you, you are tempted to inflict it on other people, but the problem with that is you don't actually get back at the one that did it to you; all you did was spread it further. Why would I want to be part of that? Decency has to start somewhere, and it might as well start with me.

What I don't understand is that these people take longer than I would find comfortable, even if I were inconsiderate and took as long as I wanted. If I spent as long as they did in the shower, I would be wrinkled, dehydrated, pruny and bored. Not to mention, if I spent as long as they did in my post-shower routine, well, I'm not even sure what I would do with that time! Hence the bafflement...

Anonymous said...

You can bake a pie if you plug in a toaster oven!

The Enforcer said...

Ask yourself this:

Do you really want to know what they're doing in there...?

Didn't think so.

Just wear flip-flops. That's all I gotsta say.

Arvay said...

Previous two comments make an "American Pie" movie scene! Eeeeew gee-ross!