nopin

Friday, March 6, 2009

Ker-dump!

And down came over a foot of snow in a time span of two hours. This brings our snowfall for the year back to normal levels. Yay!

It was still snowing when I got home, so I snapped a few photos in the front yard. Here is one:


I attempted to go skiing this morning, but it did not work at all. I sunk to my thighs, and my skis became digging tools rather than gliding tools. At one point I did a face plant, and it took me several minutes to stand up. HAHA

5 comments:

TwoYaks said...

Actually, we were above yearly norm before the storm hit http://climate.gi.alaska.edu/Climate/Fairbanks/fai_snowd.jpg
They haven't updated that graph for the current snow depth yet, but that spike is from the last storm from this weekend!

Anonymous said...

The picture is so Chrismasy. Beautiful shot. Maybe you can collect all your shots and see if you will find a publisher for "Beautiful Fairbanks"

Arvay said...

That's an interesting graph. Am I misunderstanding "cumulative" or why does it have a negative slope on the second half? Shouldn't the slope flatten, but still be positive?

Thanks for the nice comment on the photo!

TwoYaks said...

That's snow /depth./ So, there's snow fall, and there's snow depth. Snowfall measures how much comes from the sky. Snow depth measures the column when it settles on the ground. It slopes off because of breakup! :) Well, partially. There's snow settling, too, where it gets compact on down into denser layers (which you can see after major storms as we lose about an inch or so of depth).

If you're looking for cumulative snowfall, there's http://climate.gi.alaska.edu/Climate/Fairbanks/fai_snowf.jpg

Arvay said...

Interesting. So that's not just a snow record. That's also a weather record!