nopin

Saturday, April 9, 2011

One more ski before acquiescence to spring

The elevation of Ester Dome is only 660 meters, but at this latitude, that is enough to be quite a bit cooler and retain more snow. My friend M and I, both excellent candidates for being Narnian white witches, went up this morning to ski one last time.

It was a beautiful, crisp, clear day.


We could see the White Mountains:


And Murphy Dome:


The Whites again:


Where a raven had swooped for breakfast:


Poor little wodent didn't make it:


On the way back, we went to Ann's Greenhouses, for potting soil and seeds.

I'm only starting squash and a few herbs. I've learned that peas, potatoes, and herbs grow quickly enough to go directly into the ground after the last frost, and my tomatoes will *never* grow as quickly or heartily as greenhouse-started ones, so I don't bother starting them from seed. So all I start in my office are squash and the herbs I'm most anxious for (basil and cilantro).

Ann's got an astonishing operation going:


Oh, I finished splitting my full rounds last night:

2 comments:

mdr said...

Glad to see you buy woods than cutting your own.

Afer reading your 04/05/11 posting, C. thought you would be the best person for her to-be-behind-the-schedual work.

Arvay said...

I've *never* cut my own wood and would not even consider it. I like my privacy. :)