nopin

Friday, April 22, 2011

Through an outsider's eyes

My mum has been visiting me. Unfortunately, it's not the best time for tourists, because it is neither winter, with its great skiing, beautiful snow-covered trees, and aurora, nor summer, with the rivers flowing blue and the exploding greenery. It's breakup, in all of its glory, and covered with a slick of ice.

The first thing I did was give her a pair of light-duty ice cleats and inform her that she was not allowed to leave the cabin without them.

She, like most folks, finds my cabin charming but the lack of running water quite painful. She also, like me, likes to sit and stare out the windows. But I was surprised that she finds areas that I find beautiful, plain, and areas that I find plain, beautiful. Her favorite part of my commute is what I think of as Dr. T.J. Eckleburg's Valley of the Ashes and Broken Dreams. How strange that she finds beauty in what I consider desolation!

3 comments:

Rena said...

Ah, glad to hear that Mudder is visiting - you ought to let her do a "guest post" on your blog! Even though it may not be the most inspiring time of the year, tell her she'll have to visit again during the other seasons just to get the full experience.
BTW, is it too late to send you sweet pea seeds? I think if I sent them to you and you popped them into the dirt right now (or whatever you do up there) they'd sprout this spring...

mdr said...

You are a sweet lady, Rena

Arvay said...

Thanks, but I have a whole packet of peas to use up still! Let there be peas on earth, and let them begin with me! :D