nopin

Saturday, March 9, 2013

The moose and the bird feeder

This was my bird feeder 1.0:


It is all plastic, but I figured, who cares? Bird feeders do not lead high-stress existences. A cheap bird feeder is fine, right?

Hahahaha. The bird feeder got knocked down and nibbled and cracked by squirrels, and one day a moose stamped it to its sad demise.

This is my bird feeder 2.0. You'll notice that it's all steel, even the wire from which it hangs:


The other morning, it was lying on its side on the ground, its contents robbed. Moose tracks led to and from it, and there were moose turds nearby. Hmmmmmm.... Very suspicious!




And my compost pile--it was plumb gone!


I hung the bird feeder back up but figured it was a one-off event. Moose are not known for stealing from bird feeders. Google doesn't turn up a lot of cases.

Then today--this morning!--I glanced out my window to this!


The little reprobate was sitting smugly under where the bird feeder used to be! Uh-huh! Just batting her eyelashes at me like, "Oh, gee! I have no idea where the bird feeder is! It's certainly not lying on the ground, divested of its contents, which are now in my belly!"

Mamamoose was standing nearby, pretending not to notice. SURE, AMERICAN MOMS. LOOK THE OTHER WAY. This is why today's youth are such delinquents. Continue looking the other way, you overindulgent parents!! While your reprobate children continue STEALING FROM BIRD FEEDERS!!

As I stood on the porch and told behbehmoose exactly what I thought of her, she stood up, delicately stretched each leg, and walked off toward her mama, stopping to turn around and give me another innocent look:

Uh-HUH! LIKE I BUY THAT!!

Mama tossed her head at me and led her little precious angel away:




Hrrmph!

I refilled my bird feeder, hung it back up, and tied it into place with rope. I'll call this bird feeder 2.1:


Let's see what happens now!

3 comments:

Allmycke said...

I guess all you can do is to enjoy a close-up adventure with a regal animal (albeit a cheeky specimen...)
My birdfeeders were demolished by squirrels three years in a row. Wood, plastic or metal didn't make any difference - they were all dismantled somehow. I finally gave up on feeding the birds outside my apartment window, but maybe I'll give it a try again next winter.

BTW - hte calfbatting her eyelashes at youis a winner photo!

Allmycke said...

Crap! My keyboard is wanky! The last sentence should read:
The calf batting her eyelashes at you is a winner photo!

Arvay said...

Not only is my bird feeder impossible to maintain, so is my compost pile! It's just a buffet for voles and moose!