nopin

Monday, July 16, 2018

Cordova and her beauty

The last time I went to Cordova, I tried to take some photos of scenery in the rain, since there are none on the internet. A google image search for "cordova alaska" shows nothing but beautiful sun and blue sky. Even "cordova + rain" and "cordova + rainy" gets no good shots. I think their tourism industry is very good and only letting the 5 sunny days per year get photographed!

Anyway, when I arrived in Cordova, it was the same Cordova I know and love. I snapped this photo from my hotel window:


Now we are in fishing season, so we can see the swings of the electrical demand every time a ship comes in and the processing plant kicks into high gear:


Here is a photo of Cordova's only electric vehicle!

I think almost all Southeast Alaska communities are great candidates for electric vehicles--they have inexpensive, reliable hydropower, they don't get that cold, and they aren't on the highway system, so range anxiety is not an issue!

View from my walk to dinner:


This is my favorite place in town: Baja taco, an informal taco joint. It cannot accommodate my huge research team, so I only get to come here on the nights when we do not have group dinners.


After my taco dinner, the sun came out!


My goodness, it was breathtaking! I walked to the end of the walkway into the harbor:


And finally saw the Cordova of postcards:


I could not choose my favorite among these photos:


Here is an ancient boat:


Another postcard photo:


I saw two of these signs in town! I love this!

1 comment:

bt said...

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.