nopin

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Good Eats, and misc photos

Once, when I was maybe 14 and my sister 17, my mom took us to a Chinese restaurant, something we did regularly, but not frequently. In San Francisco in those days, most Chinese restaurants were Cantonese or Hong-Kong-based, which is not Of Our People, so the food was different, for us. (Nowadays, there are way more dumpling and noodle houses, which is the Food of Our People.) We had a few favorites (tomato-beef chow mein being one of them). On this day, our mom ordered "Singapore noodles". What was that? It was a dish of thin rice noodles, flavored with yellow curry, and fried with shrimp, sliced char-siu, and green and yellow onions. It was delicious (and obviously very memorable to me!). I was all, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE, SINGAPORE NOODLES? My mom was blasé. "Oh, you like it? Yes, it's tasty..." she shrugged. (And she let me go 14 years without trying it?)

Anyway, the other day, I recalled this memory, and looked up "singapore noodles" on the internet. I found a recipe that looked almost exactly like my memory. Apparently, Singapore noodles are not from Singapore, but developed by Chinese people in China supposing what Singaporeans ate. Much to my delight, they also don't require any spices, seasonings, or other pantry items that I don't already have!

I bought thin rice noodles:


And cut up the stuff (I added fish cake and sautéed in the green onions, since I recalled that, although it's not in this recipe):


And cooked it per instructions:


It came out awesome, and I will definitely make it again. It does require a separate vegetable though, since it doesn't contain any of significance:


With the leftover noodles, fish cake, and char-siu, I made noodle soup the next day:


Roses! The season has come and gone for these so fast, but I was happy that they came around to brighten our days:


Rrrrrroooooo!!!! She is adorable, right?


Here is a photo of Cricket doing her Sphinx thing:

8 comments:

bt said...

I want to eat the Singaporean Noodles *and* the leftover soup! Delicious. Do you have a good Tomato-beef chow mein recipe? It's one of my favorites, but I've never made it.

Arvay said...

@bt, no, I wing it each time. I marinate the beef in wine, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Then heat oil, fry green onions, yellow onions, and minced garlic.
Then add the beef and stir-fry.
Then add the tomato slices and bell pepper slices.
Then (WARNING! HORRIBLE CONFESSION AHEAD!) squirt ketchup in there and stir it all up.

Then finally add the cooked noodles, and fry them up.

My friend Rena, who sometimes posts here, sent me an "authentic" recipe that (1) does not contain ketchup and (2) involves frying the noodles to be crispy. It sounds awesome! (And the article is beautifully written.)

http://www.foodgal.com/2008/09/my-moms-one-and-only-tomato-beef-chow-mein/

rena said...

ketchup! Keeeetchup!??
That said, I've never made it. I will one of these days. Especially since the tomatoes ought to come in pretty soon....

e.davis said...

Your Singapore Noodles look amazing! Now I'm inspired to try them - got to love a good noodle dish:) Thanks Arvay!

Arvay said...

@rena: Sorry! I do like that recipe's idea for using stewed tomatoes, but I get those in giant cans, and a whole can would be too much for me, and then I'd be stuck with half a can of stewed tomatoes, which would create a chain of propagating leftover ingredients for days to come.

@e. davis: It was super tasty and did not, in fact, take an hour. :)

mdr said...

Yummmm... DL must LOVE your cooking too. You used to be a great baker, I can see you have advanced to also be a great chef. DL is lucky.

Arvay said...

@mdr, I would be happy to make this for you! DL suggested it. I told him no, we should only make you "healthy" things, but it's your vacation so now I agree with him. :) Anyway, it's not *that* unhealthy if we also make a vegetable. :)

mdr said...

Thanks to both of you, especially to DL. Just the Singapore noodle which happens to be my favorite dry noodle dish... Now my daughter can make it for me :-) It goes well with cold vegetable salad (very thinly sliced napa cabbage, cucumber, carrots) with vinegar/sugar/salt dressing..