nopin

Friday, November 30, 2018

Earthquake in Anchorage!

This morning, we had just gotten back from our morning run when the ground trembled and made a very distinctive noise. Every San Francisco native knows it, and I suppose every Alaskan does, too. Earthquake! It lasted for over a minute. DL was already at work, and Roo and Cricket looked up from their rawhides, said, "Roo" and "Eep", respectively, and went back to gnawing. After it stopped, I thought back to what I learned as a San Francisco kid. Turn off the gas line! Oh we don't have a gas line! Um... what else? Lights are still on, so check in! I called DL; campus is fine. Then texted my mom and sister. "I'm fine!" I feel very earthquake-safe in an area with no large infrastructure, and in a solidly built log cabin on rocky ground that is not a liquefaction risk.

The earthquake could either have been a little one nearby, or a huge one farther away. I don't have a smartphone, so the only way for me to get the internet at home is to fire up my computer, and being lazy to do that, I flipped on the radio instead. NPR was still discussing politics in Washington, so I figured it wasn't that bad. And the lights hadn't flickered, so I figured the main power plants were still running in Anchorage (we have an intertie that enables us to buy and sell power between the two of us).

On the other hand, power plants are built to a higher standard than almost every other infrastructure component since they are considered "critical infrastructure". Our new power plant is designed to withstand an earthquake of 9.0 and still remain operational!

Well, thus far the reports are that it was 7.0, 10 miles from Anchorage, and there has been quite a bit of damage to roads and homes. Schools have been cancelled. But no deaths or serious injuries reported. I sent out a mass email to my students to remind them to please bring their coat, hat, and gloves/mittens to classes! I always do, in case there is an earthquake or fire or any other reason to evacuate. You won't have time to run back to your office for your warm coat, and woe unto those who are stuck outside at -40 with no coat!

Let me remind my 12 faithful readers to please be prepared! Follow the preparedness guidelines for whatever your natural disasters are in your area, and be prepared to evacuate if you have to!

3 comments:

gina said...

I'm glad you and your fuzzies are all fine. I watched the news in north FL and remembered the AK quake in the 1960s, and hoped it wasn't that bad. Having grown up in the SF Bay Area (as I did also) you have a different perspective on earthquakes. Safe wishes for your family and the state of Alaska!

mdr said...

I am sure you are well prepared for quake, the supplies in the cabin, both cars and both offices (the only time I did see benefits from having two offices, double supplies). I am thankful that you and D were fine.

Arvay said...

@gina, thank you for your kind thoughts!

@mdr, This earthquake has me thinking about moving into my office in the new building full-time, even though I have no window or beautiful view. The new building will be up to the latest seismic and fire codes; there are even features built in to thwart active shooters! Our old building, beloved as it is, does not have these, so it seems like a good idea. The times, they are a-changing!