nopin

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Tanana Valley Farmer's Market

Here is my loot for the day:


Savoy cabbage! Weird-looking (though actually quite normal-tasting) arctic-grown spinach! Moosetard (locally made mustard) for my beans! The last of the season's sweet blueberries! Arctic potatoes (which are so yummy as to be magical, as Scandinavians will attest to as well as Alaskans)!

And I also stopped at "Northernmost falafel stand in the world" for lunch. Which is probably true, and got me thinking. Seeing as we are the northernmost city in the Western hemisphere, and in the other half of the world, maybe only a handful of cities in Siberia, Finland, Norway, and Sweden are farther north than we are, there are probably quite a few things around here that can take analogous boastful titles. My cup of tea right here might well be the "Northernmost cup of Chinese tea in a Pyrex measuring cup in the world." Mr. B. is probably the "Northernmost savage rabbit in the world." And I might really be the Northernmost Chinese-American physics student in the world. Imagine that!

Here is my loot from last week, as inspected by Ms. Millie B. Doofus, Esq:


What a beautiful pumpkin! I shall make pasta e zucca this week, and bake and mash the rest for pies!

Finally, here is today's sky:

No comments: