nopin

Friday, November 6, 2009

Words for Snow

A popular bit of folklore has it that some Eskimo language has thirty, or forty, or eighty some odd words for snow. Even when I lived in California, I never found this difficult to believe, and I certainly don't now. Just varying grain size, shape, freshness, whether it's windblown or has been allowed to sit still, and average air temperature during metamorphosis, you can get a good 100 permutations.

I'm surprised that yahoo weather tries to go into it, though. Look at today's description:


Groovy, no?

In other news, the girls are warm and fuzzy:


I love how Linden sleeps like a pocket knife. :)

5 comments:

TwoYaks said...

Leaving aside my usual comment about `which Eskimo language do you mean?`, the "Eskimo has a billion words for snow" myth is tiring. It's either false, or true but totally uninteresting (because of the grammar of most Eskimo languages and also because English would then have an extraordinary number itself). :p

Check out http://users.utu.fi/freder/Pullum-Eskimo-VocabHoax.pdf : )

I have to use per se in my post, since that's my word verification right now! ;)

Rena said...

So which type of snow is best for snow cones? Do you bother doing sno cones up there, or are you totally fed up with snow once you're inside and warm? We've been going to the Saratoga farmer's market, which has a Hawaiian shave ice vendor. But I don't think he'll be there for much longer as our weather cools. #1 really looks forward to his shave ice and is bound for some disappointment soon.

I remember going to Steamboat, Colorado for snowboarding back when we were kiddo-less, and they boasted about their "champagne snow", which was very fine and light. It -was- pretty good stuff. Not like our Sierra cement! Hey, maybe we do have several descriptors for snow....?

Arvay said...

Sno cones can be made from snow? Whoa... the thought had honestly never crossed my mind. I thought natural snow's pretty dirty. I mean, it's mostly safe from toxins and poisons and whatnot, but it doesn't taste very good. And the nucleus of each snow grain is a dust particle, after all. Hmmmm... I have melted snow to drink while camping, and it doesn't taste too bad. Maybe some experimentation is in order!

mdr said...

Why would anyone want to have a snow cone from real snow? I mean when there is real snow to make a snow cone, wouldn't people want to have a cup of hot tea or chocalate?

Anonymous said...

Mhs is 60F today at 4:07 pm :-)