nopin

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Beauty

So every year I complain about going to Mississippi, and every year I go anyway and have a fine time. I enjoy the food, I am touched by the warmth, friendliness, and kindness of the people, and I am stunned by the beauty of the scenery. I could live here, except that it's intolerably hot and humid (currently 98F/37C, and 55% humidity).

So this morning I dropped my adviser off at the airport, and then proceeded to the Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge.

Hay bales, grain silos, red barn... what more could you ask for?


Old Robinson Road was very picturesque:


Not to mention Gentry's Store! Now, I wonder if the Gentry family would feel about this photo how I feel about "rustic" photos of my own home.


Another rural mailbox, another farm:


Entrance to the refuge:


Sunlight filtering through the forest.

This looks a lot like photos I take around Fairbanks, but being here is much, much different. The heat, humidity, fecundity... You can smell the richness and dampness of the earth, and the air is filled with all sorts of sounds--birds, insects, frogs. Its definitely an entirely different world. This swamp is positively pulsing with life.

Bluff Lake. That is a tree in the middle of the water.


Cypress swamp. Swamp! I had never seen anything like it.

You can see a water bird heron this page.

It's strange to me that out here in this park, in the wilderness, almost every road is paved. I guess I'm too used to my own neighborhood!


Fishing pier:


Water lilies:




Walkway through the cypress grove:


Isn't it lovely and unique? I've never seen anything like it:





Here is a photo I must post or'egret it:


I'm a tree hugger!


Picturesque fence:

The posts were rough logs.

5 comments:

mdr said...

Mississippi is hot? Heard of "Missisippi Burning" :-) :-)

blip said...

thanks for sharing the pics! were there lots of mozzies?

Arvay said...

mozzies? Do American's say that? I'd only heard that word from Dingo Dave. They do have them, and they complain about them, but they are nothing compared to Alaska's. But they do spray with chemicals. On the whole, I think I'd prefer to be bitten than have that exposure.

Arvay said...

Holy crap! I abus'd an apostrophe! I can't believe I did that!

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

G'day! Judging by your shoulders it looks like you could easily rip that tree outta the ground! All the wood splitting does a body good.

Aussie mossies are wusses too compared to Alaskan skeetos.