nopin

Friday, June 17, 2011

More Food Photos

These seem to be a theme with me lately, eh?

Anyway, I bought the funniest melon the other day. It looked like a cantaloupe on the outside, but it was like a honeydew on the inside. I'd had the reverse before, but never in this direction. I had no idea when I brought it home, either, so I was a little surprised.

Once when I was in China, I bought some cantaloupe candy called "meron candy", which I thought was hysterical! I wish I'd saved just one wrapper for kicks.

Per my sister's suggestion, I made arugula pesto:


Yum!


Have a good weekend, everyone!

6 comments:

Rena said...

Funny you should mention merron candy. I just read this about making candied cantaloupe:
http://jennsgardeningspot.blogspot.com/2011/06/turning-fruit-into-candy-guest-post-by.html

If you ask me, though, I'd rather just eat the melon fresh!

Melons and all the cucurbit family cross-breed pretty readily. Same with peppers and brassicas.

Arvay said...

How weird! I wonder what a cucumber and melon hybrid would be like!

Rena said...

It'd be something like a casaba melon or a crenshaw if it tends more towards the melon family. If you let cucumbers ripen on the vine fully, they become enormous (once picked a Japanese cucumber the size of my upper arm), they turn yellow, the skin becomes more of a hard rind, the seeds get enormous and scoopable, and the flesh becomes soft. Not good eating, though.

I remember reading somewhere that peppers cross breed so easily that only professionals really save the seeds of the plants because they are able to isolate them from any bees or wind or other pollinators.

mdr said...

It is our luck to naturally love fruits and vegetables. Many people have to 'force" themselves to eat them for health reasons and many others just won't do it.

b said...

Up until midnight! Don't tell mudder!

Also I just happened to be eating that same melon yesterday! (and there's more for today!)

Arvay said...

Were you surprised, or did you know what was inside?