nopin

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Multiple ways to interact with plant life

Miss Millie B. Doofus, Supreme Ruler of the People's Independent Republic of Bunnistan, is fat, happy, and very secure in her place in the world. She hardly drinks water nowadays due to the voluminous quantities of fresh greens she is getting. The yard provides grass, fireweed, and dandelion greens, and there are always trimmings and rejects from my CSA pickup for her as well.



I decided to walk partway down the hill behind my cabin to see how the berry blossoms were blooming and make note of where the berries would arrive a few weeks. I headed for the path and found it smothered and overtaken by fireweed!


I whacked it back open with a machete. Can you see the path in the photo? No? It's there, I assure you!


The weekly pickup: Radishes, braising greens, kale, lettuce, escarole, bok choy, spinach, and... more of that mystery purple flowery vegetable that I don't care for. More snacks for Millie!


My spruce, all split and stacked! Yay! I'm going to have the Mormon missionaries help me cover it with the giant tarps that I'm always fighting with. They always want to help me with chores, so I saved that for them! :)


I tried to take a group photo, but the girls wouldn't face the camera. :)

6 comments:

mdr said...

I sure like the picture on the bottom, but why do you need so much wood?

mdr said...

Did you ask them how to cook the purple flowery vegi? They must know if they grow it.

Rena said...

Thick leafy greens like those purples aren't very delicious after they've bolted. I wonder if they are the tops to something, like kohlrabi?

b said...

the purple veggie is a type of mustard green, right? (it's bitter?) our farmers market has an heirloom greens (heaven, I know!) vendor who has joined since you moved away. they have that green plus so many other yummies.

Arvay said...

No, it's not bitter, but it's the approximate texture of twine. They call it "Asian flowering broccoli", but I tend to agree with Rena; it's something that used to be delicious but has bolted! I call it "Millie's special snack." :)

The last time I got it, I sauteed, then steamed it, forlikeEVER, and it still had strings of hay-like cellulose going down each stem.

b said...

they truly are performing a mission by helping you with that task! that looks like a lot of work. mormons from my experience are super nice, kind of like canadians!