nopin

Sunday, October 14, 2012

'Tis Winter

Yesterday and today, the girls and I took long, leaping, off-leash trail runs, now that the trails have finally frozen! Pure joy! They bounded like puppies. I was light-footed and nimble. These are the kinds of runs I dream of on hot summer days, when I sit in front of the screen door and try to ignore my 200 mosquito bites, and I try to ignore the sweat dripping down my back and my temples. I close my eyes and imagine the three of us bounding down the frozen trails. And now we have survived another summer and here we are!

No photos. Sorry. I can't run encumbered with a camera. Skiing photos will come soon though. :) Here is a post-run nap photo:


Other Winter Changes:
1) I swapped my tires from summer to winter.
2) I lifted the water line from the ground in my cabin, to run along the back of the counter. It's unsightly there, but it won't freeze!
3) I dug out my favorite red scarf. :)

I do still owe you Southeast photos though, don't I? Here are a few. The Southeast is mountainous and heavily glaciated. Juneau sits in a bowl of fog. It was brilliantly sunny on the other side of the mountains, but poor Juneau sits in pea soup:


Here is a shot of the mountains:


And some glaciers:




Let's see... which others of my kabillion photos would entertain and not bore you people? Here is one of Ketchikan as we are headed to Prince of Wales Island by ferry:


The weather was so beautiful that I couldn't help but wonder whether this whole "it's never sunny in Southeast" thing was just a hoax to keep crowds from moving there. But, three days later, we returned in weather like this:


Okay that's enough for today! I need to work on my thesis! I'll send out more photos as I go through them! Have a great week, everyone!

Edited to add: Oh yeah, and as my plane was coming in Friday night, I saw ice on the Chena!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great entry - made my day!!

It's wonderful to read about pure joy in surviving another summer instead of the usual sadness that summer is over.

And
3) I dug out my favorite red scarf. :)
is a great thing to do!

It took a while to figure out "heated to Prince of Wales Island" - I thought it was an Alaskan thing I didn't know about, until I realized you were just testing the readers to see if they were paying attention.

Loyal reader #8

Arvay said...

Ayah! Typo corrected! Much thanks, loyal reader #8! :)