nopin

Sunday, August 25, 2013

I have a front yard!

We got our first frost this morning:


And... my friends, today I have a front yard. Check it out:


Too bad I didn't take any "before" photos. But here are some from prior years, so you know what I dealt with here:


The fireweed pulls out tidily, one by one:


But the rest I hack with a machete!

Twenty-four! Twenty-four bags of biomass! Ah, ah, ah! Vahnderful!

Also, also: two more tree stumps have been liberated!

Autumn and Linden are very impressed. They always examine and pee on my yard work:


I'm also making acceptable progress on the firewood. Not the best, but I'm good for this winter:


I don't think I had realized quite how aggressively fecund the subarctic was until I moved here!

4 comments:

mdr said...

Nice and clean :) Hope to stop mosquitos from coming.

mdr said...

I like the swing set too. Nice.

Rena said...

Why bother carting all that biomass off of the property? If you piled it into a corner, wouldn't it eventually decompose and turn into nice rich compost? I mean, it might take a few seasons, but it'd be easier than bagging it all up and burning gas, right?

Arvay said...

@Mdr: Why, thank you.

@Rena: I'm trying to cut the cycle of weeds reseeding themselves, and the fireweed is full of cottony seeds that would billow around and make more and more and more... And as for the other primary weeds (roses and raspberries, and yes I know that those are lovely plants when they aren't acting all Feed-Me-Seymourish), they are full of thorns, and I minimize contact with the thorns more easily by bagging them and shoving them into my car--which is right there in front of my house--than by carrying them all the way down the hill.

I do have a dream contraption in my head--you throw biomass into a hopper at one end, and it dries and grinds it up, and spits out stove pellets at the other end. Wouldn't that be nice! :)