nopin

Friday, June 30, 2017

Notes from here and there

Our current window spider is a total badass. Last night, she took out a wasp:


She is an orb weaver, an Alaskan variant with coloring that is purported to match bird droppings:


The weather has been... uncomfortably warm, but blessedly smoke-free due to intermittent rain showers. Starbuckeroo is quite warm, as am I. Cricket and DL seem to be more heat-tolerant!




WHO WANTS A CARROT??


I don't know why, but there have been an awful lot of squirrels and arctic hares lately. Probably part of a natural cycle... next year, there will be more foxes, having feasted this year! Then, the prey will go down, and the cycle will reverse. The squirrels have been very cheeky, approaching the house (and my office!) and chittering:


Here are more photos from my visit to Creamer's Field a couple of weeks ago. Is it just me, or does it kind of look like some bayou in the Deep South?






No comments: