nopin

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Good eats

Common wisdom says that no one wants to see your unprofessional food photos, but my mother and sister inform me that my niece loves my food photos! Hah!

We picked up our annual share of 20 pounds of salmon from the Alaska Marine Conservation Council:


They are reds, from Bristol Bay:


They seem smaller this year, but that means more fillets!


Huevos rancheros, our favorite Saturday breakfast of late:


Partially homemade pizza (using Boboli crust), with Minestra di Zucchine con Cacio Uove and salad:


A beautiful stand at the Farmer's Market:


Last weekend, our research director decided that what we all needed to do before starting classes for the fall is have an interdepartmental wiffle ball tournament and a pig roast. Here is the roaster:


Mmm, mmm, roast piggie!


Piggie came from a local meat processor. We have no concentrated feed lots in Alaska, so the piggies, cows, and goats are all free-range, and in this case organic, to boot!


MC Bill makes the first slices:


Fixin's for Singapore noodles:


Said Singapore noodles:


A beautiful fractal broccoli:

How long is the coast of Britain?

Best. Enchiladas. Ever. Made with leftover roast pork:


Served with fractal broccoli, corn, and fresh local tomatoes:

7 comments:

bt said...

I should not read your blog when I am hungry! These all look delicious!

mdr said...

All those yummies (not the luau pig) were not made (consumed) in the same day, I guess. Eat more greens please. I feel good about AK for two things that you have -- blueberries and fish. Yes.

mdr said...

Yes, you had greens when I read pictures again.

Ra does not think your food pictures are not professional. Ra wants us to copy them.

Arvay said...

mdr, until you pointed it it, I realized I don't even label or name my greens unless they are something pretty, like the broccoli. I treat all leafy greens the same, and they are as exciting as rice.

e.davis said...

Being a foodie, I enjoy the food photos. It doesn't matter that they're not professional - they look delicious:) BTW - like the comparison of the fractal broccoli to the question of how long the coast of Britain is. I'm not particularly mathematical so I thought it clever:)

rara said...

I love all the food pictures, all except the pictures the whole roasted pig. Poor Piggies!
The food is very pretty. The photo with the salad and pizza and soup, is my favorite. The picture with the fish is definitely has a lot of fish. Huavos Rancheros is kind of a silly name for a food but, the avocado looks tasty. The cauliflowers are really colorful. I think the purple cauliflowers look best. The Singapore noodles look tasty. (Without shrimp, I would
eat it.) The fractal broccoli is beautifully patterned. By the way, what does fractal mean? The
enchiladas look like huge dumplings. The tomatoes,fractal broccoli,and corn look very beautiful.

Arvay said...

@bt, this looks like encouragement to me, so your self-caution must continue!

@e. Davis, I'm glad!

@rara, it's hard to think about animals as food, but meat does come from animals, whether we see their faces or not. I don't suppose you eat much pork? Gran does not like pork very much, and daddy is Jewish. Only mommy likes pork in your house. Fractal means, when you zoom in, you see the same pattern again. Here is a gif example:
https://giphy.com/gifs/loop-oc-sierpinsky-EtFMAF8nmOmly

But broccoli made by nature is even more impressive!