nopin

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Fall continues to march on in

Giant aspen leaves coming from the saplings:




Rainbows!


Kerfloppular cuddles!


My friend and neighbor DB said since frost was here, it was time to clear out the garden. She didn't care for the turnips, so told me to take 'em all. I said, sure!


I'm not crazy about turnips either, but I lovelovelove turnip greens. I will give most of the turnips themselves away. I have a friend who loves turnips so much, his mom mails them to him from Massachusetts!


Look! A double-yolk egg! You don't get those from commercial-scale farms anymore!


The leaves are mostly nekkid now, but a few still have leaves:


The ladies on our walk:


DL:


Tiny shroom in a fairy forest:


Ice!


Ice finally!


Look at this fuzzything!


Roo looking very picturesque:


And Cricket, equally dignified:

3 comments:

rena said...

I like roasting turnips with rutabegas and beets and carrots and parsnips. Sometimes a celery root. Also turning them into torshi pickles with beets - just chunk them up with beets, top with vinegar and salt.
So whaddya do with the greens?!

Very regal pose on that doggie!

Arvay said...

I like boiling turnips with potatoes and mashing them together, but for some reason, when I get home on weeknights, I just don't think of potatoes, although they take less time than rice! I should work more potatoes into my starch rotation.

I stir-fry the greens with garlic, like I do to almost every green!

mdr said...

Turnip is medicinal in China. Best to cleanse internal system, especially if having nose congestion or cough, aid to digestion too.

---Make beef soup, add in seaweed (not a must),tomato and turnip at end

-- Shred turnip thinly, add salt to sqeeze out a little of liquid, then add sugar and vinegar. We add cilantro before serving. Eat like a salad.