nopin

Sunday, November 24, 2019

Miscellaneous photos

Starbuck-A-Roo, the theroopy dog, in the volunteers' lounge:

She is Full of Love.

Look what happened the other night! (Apologies for the blurry photo; I was pulled over on the side of the road and wanted to get back on the road ASAP):


My favorite cookstove:

The challenge, of course, is that the woodstove's primary purpose is home heating. So on cold days, it's always super-hot and incapable of simmering, and on warmer days, it's not that hot, and incapable of boiling. But I try to compensate with trivets of various heights!

Rice always comes out perfect!


Part of prepwork for the office potluck! I can. Not. Deal. When serving utensils get separated from their owners. It's not even about the cost! My wooden spoons cost about $2 a piece. It's about my poor, orphaned spoons, out there somewhere not being loved!


I made a double batch of extra-tasty cornbread, where I used white flour according to the original Albers cornbread recipe:

When I make it for us at home, I use whole wheat or barley flour that was grown and milled in Delta Junction. The taste of the healthier version is not bad! But the texture definitely suffers. It doesn't rise as much, and the reduced gluten amount makes it more crumbly and less chewy.

Do you think Cricket is comfy? I sure hope she is comfy.


Do you think Roo Bear is comfy? I sure hope she is comfy.


Cricket got up and moved over to sit with her seester.

Awwwwww!

4 comments:

rena said...

So many corner pieces, mmmm!
I like watching a cowboy cook on YouTube that cooks with a wood fire stove he's named Big Bertha (of course). Sometimes when Big Bertha's feeling frisky, those onions get browned in no time flat. I like the idea of rice cooking on that stove - have you tried doing a Persian rice w/ the tahdig crust on the bottom?
Also Happy Thanksgiving from the bay area. We are enjoying a cold snap - low of 36 tonight! ...which reminds me that I need to bring in my long-suffering Christmas cactus.

mdr said...

I think your corn bread looks good even if it HIYA Auntie Daisy. Your pictures are awesome!!! You know I adore your food photos. Thanks for posting the corn bread!!!

Arvay said...

@rena, that pan is awesome, and also good for brownies!

@mdr and rara this comment is wonderful! :D :D :D

Rara said...

I really love the salad, green bean casserole, corn bread, and the rice pictures. I just love your food pictures! I also can't believe its -11 in Alaska! Its stormy in California. I also love the polar bear ice sculpture! Its really cute! Do you have more photos of the ice sculptures at your school? Have you ever built an ice sculpture? Your dogs are very cute lying on the couch.